0 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 2:06 PM by traviswithoutlookstruggles

Outlook SMTP via OAuth ~ Java. Struggling!!!

traviswithoutlookstruggles

Working in Java, trying to connect to SMTP to see inbox using OAUTH tokens. I have obtained the access_token, refresh_token, and email. From what I understand I should be able to connect.

I have obtained the email, refresh_token, and access_token using the following code:

String USER_OAUTH2_AUTHORIZE_URL = "https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/v2.0/authorize";

public String getOAuthDialog(Http.Request request) {

return USER_OAUTH2_AUTHORIZE_URL

+ "?client_id=" + config.getClientId()

+ "&redirect_uri=" + getOutlookLoginRedirect(request)

+ "&response_type=code"

+ "&scope=https%3A%2F%2Foutlook.office.com%2Fmail.send%20" +

"https%3A%2F%2Foutlook.office.com%2Fmail.readwrite%20" +

"https%3A%2F%2Foutlook.office.com%2Fmail.read%20" +

"offline_access%20openid%20email%20profile"

+ "&state=" + stateGenerator.generate();

}

So the scopes I am using are mail.send, mail.readwrite, mail.read, offline_access, openid, email, and profile (although I am fairly confident I do not need all of these -> goal is to read inbox and send emails, while also getting email and name if they exist).

I am then connecting to SMTP server with the following code:

private SMTPTransport getSMTPConnection(User user) {

OAuth2Authenticator.initialize();

try {

String accessToken = user.getAccesstoken();

for (int tries = 1; true; tries++) {

try {

return OAuth2Authenticator.connectToSmtp("smtp-mail.outlook.com",

user.getOutlookUid(),

accessToken,

true);

} catch (AuthenticationFailedException e) {

// Try refreshing once, and then fail if we get this exception again

if (tries > 1) {

log.info("{}", e);

throw new RuntimeException("Failed to connect to Outlook SMTP for " + user.getOutlookUid() + ". " + e.getMessage(), e);

}

// Token expired; we need a new one

log.info("Exception connecting to Outlook SMTP for " + user.getOutlookUid() + ": " + e);

accessToken = updateAccessToken(user);

}

}

} catch (Exception e) {

log.error("Email send failure through Outlook SMTP. " + e.getMessage());

throw Throwables.propagate(e);

}

}

Well essentially I call that function, then call

smtpTransport.sendMessage(message, message.getAllRecipients());

on a message I have created.

The code that actually connects to the server is here:

public static SMTPTransport connectToSmtp(String host, int port, String userEmail, String oauthToken, boolean debug)

throws Exception {

Properties props = new Properties();

props.put("mail.smtp.starttls.enable", "true");

props.put("mail.smtp.starttls.required", "true");

props.put("mail.smtp.sasl.enable", "true");

props.put("mail.smtp.sasl.mechanisms", "XOAUTH2");

props.put("mail.smtp.sasl.mechanisms.oauth2.oauthToken", oauthToken);

Session session = Session.getInstance(props);

session.setDebug(debug);

URLName unusedUrlName = null;

SMTPTransport transport = new SMTPTransport(session, unusedUrlName);

// If the password is non-null, SMTP tries to do AUTH LOGIN.

String password = "";

transport.connect(host, port, userEmail, password);

return transport;

}

Okay, now I can get to the most frustrating part... I have used the "connectToSMTP" method to connect to Gmail and it worked perfectly.

OAuth2Authenticator.connectToSmtp("smtp.gmail.com",

user.getGoogleUid(),

accessToken,

true);

So ultimately my question is "what am I doing wrong?" or "what can I update to be able to send emails through Outlook"? I have seen that Outlook has a REST API, but that is plan B. Is there something different about Outlook vs Gmail?

Some things I have considered:

1. Scope did not request enough access (so I probably am asking for too much now)

2. access_token was stored incorrectly or encoded in some way (tried decoding it from base_64 which provided nothing). I am able to use my refresh_token to update the access_token so that tells me I am probably storing them correctly.

3. I tried passing null for the password. Also passed in the actual password and that WORKED, but I have the access_token and refresh_token so I shouldn't need to ask for their explicit password. Also this would be dangerous and sketchy to ask of users.

4. I tried manually connecting to the smtp server using "openssl s_client -crlf -starttls smtp -connect smtp-mail.outlook.com:587", but it seemed to think my access_token was wrong "535 5.0.0 OAuth failed: OAuth authentication failed due to Invalid token.  Code -2147184118"  That number when taken two's complement and converted to hex is 0x8004920a. Helped in searches but was to no avail.

5. I have done a lot of searching for this and will continue now to post this everywhere. A lot of resources for it working with Gmail, but as previously stated I already have it working for Gmail. Something seems different for Outlook. Also I have encountered lots of posts regarding email forwarding on an email client... I am semi-creating an email client so going through outlook.com settings doesn't help me.

Another concern that a buddy of mine had was that my access token was really long, contributing to what the manual smtp server claimed. It is 1188 characters long. It's something like 'EwB4Aul3BAAUo4xeBIbHjhBxWOFekj4Xy2...x9stHxi2K/VFggE=' (obviously I hid most of the characters).

Preemptive THANK YOU for anyone who offers advice or finds my issue. Especially why I can pass in the email password and that fails, but using the oauth access_token fails.