This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM 7.4 issue with downloading configs - router timeout

Hi all,

I have an Aruba controller I am trying to login to and download the running-config from.  I have verified via the edit node page for this device that the connection profile and device template match what works for other Aruba controllers in our network.  When I hit the test button, it comes back successfully.  Even when I review the test results, it shows the login, the move to enabled mode, and shows the version of the device software.  So... things should be working, right?

When I try to manually run a job to download the config, I get the dreaded "Unable to Log into Router : Timeout"

router timeout.PNG

I've checked my NCM settings to ensure that the amount of ssh sessions at one time is limited to 4, and the snmp timeout is set to 10 minutes.

ncm-config-transfer.PNG

I am also able to login to the Aruba controller with the credentials stored in the connection profile.

Any thoughts on why I would still be getting this timeout error?

• So I think I found the issue.  I attempted to login to the device this morning via SSH using the same credentials stored in NCM.  The login process was slow.  VERY slow.  It took ~2 minutes after entering the password for the unprivileged prompt to come up.  After that the ssh session seems a bit slow as well for commands to be typed.

So my next question is, are there any ways to tweak the settings of a connection profile so that NCM does not fail so quickly? If I could increase the time it takes to login, enable, and show run, it would probably not fail.

• Ok, I found the solution to increase the timeout.  I needed to increase the telnet/ssh timeout under NCM Settings -> Network -> Protocol settings.  They were using the defaults, which times out rather quickly.  If you increase this timeout, it may help with devices that typically fail.  I increased mine to:

telnet-ssh-settings.PNG

Which seemed to fix the timeout issue I was getting, but now I'm getting "Connectivity issues, discarding configuration (or configuration too short)".  The odd thing is, the above fixed one of my devices that had the idle timeout issue, but not the other.  The one that still has problems does not allow me to download a running-config, but does allow me to download a startup-config.

Keep that in mind when you're troubleshooting these types of problems.

• Regarding the issue you still have with Config too short and the abilitity to download/not-download your running/startup configs:  That sounds like the Device Template you've assigned may not be using the correct and/or best commands for that device type and OS version.  If you are using the out-of-the-box templates or even if you've customized them based on config commands you've researched, it could be that particular model or the OS version that model is running requires different commands than other similar models or versions.  This is particularly true with F5's and fortinets in our organization as we have many different models and many different versions within those models and we've had to create several tweaked templates to properly back all of them up (and we still aren't 100% right now, since a lot of the info you find searching google and forum websites can be outdated.)