This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Looking to make a process in NCM. Anyone had any success?

So far I have not had any luck finding examples or wrapping my brain around exactly how to go about building a process. Making the same change on 200 switches is easy. I am looking to automate a process of making different changes across the same set of switches. For example every time we add an new VLAN in our data center I need to go add it to the same switches/interfaces every time. This is not necessarily the same interface on all the switches. Is there a way to make a template that I just give the new vlan id and it knows go to switch 1 and put it on port 1 and swtich 2 it goes on port 7, etc.? I know how I would code it if I was going to write my own thing, but I am trying to integrate it into NCM.

Thanks for any help/insight!

• You can define custom properties -- one would identify the switches and the other one the interface on that switch. Then you can write a script or config change template (to add the VLAN or whatever) and run in on the desired set of nodes (identified by a distinct value of the first custom property).

Jiri

• I would agree with Jiri. My only concern and might not be a concern would be that it is multiple switches. I was wondering if you are changing a particular vlan to another? Are all ports on one vlan and needs to be changed to a new one? If so you might be able to do a compliance report looking for that vlan then create a remediation script with the new vlan information. That way it will look at all the switches and match that one vlan then run the script on each switch.

• Depending on the specifics of these changes and how often they occur I would do as has been suggested and create the custom properties then scripts and templates. This can be painful if you have a several different types of interfaces that you will be changing per switch as I (and a few tech support tickets) haven't found a way to reference the interface custom property in a template or script. This is a limitation that is hard to attempt to work around without create a ton of custom properties as far as I have been able to figure out.