This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

server error: a query to the solarwinds information service failed

FormerMember
FormerMember

We encountered this error in NPM main page.

Any help please.

pastedImage_1.png

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to neomatrix1217

Hi neomatrix1217

Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask you what would be the impact if I turn to ENABLE this Automatic Index Defragmentation?

• There would be no impact since the DB maintenance runs by default at 2:15 if there something for the task to defrag it will otherwise it will just skip it and move on.

• I'd have a look in the C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\InformationService\v3.0 logfiles to see if anything is recorded there... you'll probably find things like:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.  This failure occured while attempting to connect to the Principle server. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryHasMoreRows(Boolean& moreRows)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryReadInternal(Boolean setTimeout, Boolean& more)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.Read()

at SolarWinds.InformationService.DataProviders.SqlQueryRelation.<GetEnumerator>d__0.MoveNext()

at SolarWinds.Data.Query.PhysicalQueryPlan.ProjectOp.<GetEnumeratorInternal>d__0.MoveNext()

at SolarWinds.Data.Query.PhysicalQueryPlan.PhysicalQueryPlan.<GetEnumerator>d__0.MoveNext()

at SolarWinds.InformationService.Serialization.XmlResponseSerializerSimple.Serialize(XmlWriter writer)

at SolarWinds.InformationService.Serialization.XmlSerializer.OnSerialize(XmlWriter writer)

-> open a support case and see what they say.

[this particular error in my environment caused by an alert on a UNDP table poller because the SQL built by SWIS is incredibly inefficient in 11.5.2 -- case open on this]

• I experienced the same problem with the database supporting NPM's Syslog Reporting feature. 

It turned out that no maintenance had been done to that resource and it was 99% fragmented.  I opened a support case with SW and learned the steps to accomplish a re-index and defrag. 

That, plus adding additional hard drive space for the database, and pointing some of most busy syslog sources (Anchor Controllers and ASA's) at Splunk instead of NPM resulted in a very happy and responsive NPM again.

Good luck!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advised emoticons_happy.png