This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Script to push on multiple devices

Hi Thwack community, I'm new here so excuse me if I'm not following the right procedure.

I'm not a programmer and I need help for a script so I don't have to spend 2 weeks full time for doing a little change in my whole network.

I basically need to change every snmpv2 config in my network topology for snmpv3. The problem is that I have multiple models of switches;

-Cisco 2950

-Cisco 2960

-Cisco 3750

-Cisco Nexus 5000

-Cisco Nexus 7000

So I need a case with multiple "version contain XXXX" values and where I would be able to add the commands related to snmp in.

If it's another model then the ones that I've wrote, add the IP in a list that I'll be able to see later. If it's not possible, just skip this device.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks a lot!

Metalshad

• Which product are you using for config management?  CatTools?  NCM?

The way I do this is via policy reports in NCM.

1:  Create rules that will implement the SNMPv3 configuration for a given HW/SW platform.  Repeat this step for each different config syntax.

2:  Create policy reports for each of your platforms.

3:  Add the appropriate configuration rule (from step1) to each of the policy reports.

This will require some up-front investment of time but it will be well worth it later when you add new platforms.

Once you have your SNMPv3 configs in place then you can also use policy reports to remove the SNMPv2 config if you desire.

If you are looking for directions on creating the rules and policy reports then keep looking around on Thwack - there's plenty of documentation and videos that should walk you through the process.

• Hi wbrown, thank you for your answer.

I am actually using NCM. The thing I forgot to mention is that I'm doing a migration

to:NCM 7.4, NPM 11.5.3

So the nodes are in snmpv2 in the old server and I want to import them in the new one with snmpv3.

I may proceed with importing everything in snmpv2 with the community string and then try what you've proposed.

I'll take a look and get back at you.

Thanks again