This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM shows my PCs IP as available

Hi All,

We have a question regarding our IPAM. We have noticed that it shows currently used IP addresses as being "available" when they aren't.

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,

Tracy

• Adding pics for further clarification. Thanks!

MY PC.JPG

My PC Available.JPG

1. Do you use IPAM for your DHCP solution? (I know that sounds odd; some folks could use it for a monitor, without letting it manage/lease addresses)
    2. Do you have IPAM set to discover your used addresses (if you don't use IPAM as a DHCP solution)?
    3. How frequently does IPAM rediscover/verify addresses that are in use?

We might also benefit from seeing a screen shot or two from your IPAM management view.

• What are the scan settings for this subnet? Can you ping this IP from the IPAM server?

• Hi, thanks for your replies.

**No we don't use IPAM for DHCP solution.

**We have no DHCP/DNS servers being monitored with Solarwinds at all.

**Yes IPAM is set to discover used addresses

**For almost all our sites including this one IPAM is set to scan once per day.

**Didn't think to try pinging this address from the IPAM server yesterday and now my PC has another address (10.251.85.221) and that one did show used this morning but now it shows available again. Can ping the 10.251.85.221 from the IPAM server while it is listed as available in IPAM.

**Screen shots from management view - What in particular would you like to see?

Attaching some pics

• The IP in your 2nd and 3rd screenshots are different. One of them is 80.221 and the second one is the correct one ending in 85.221

If you go to http://<orion server>/Orion/IPAM/subnet.scanstatus.aspx, what is the status of your scan for the /21 subnet this IP belongs to?

Did you initiate a manual scan for this subnet?

• Hi, thanks for catching that and thanks for your reply.

The correct is 85.221. We did just run a manual scan and now my IP shows as used although nothing shows in the IP history for this address. If that's all it is maybe our scan interval needs to be shorter.

Do you know when the IP Address History box would or would not show results? We have noticed some addresses show history results and some don't like this one.

My IP today - used 1051 am.JPG

• If there is a successful scan, it should result in tracking of the history of the IP.  If manual scans are working correctly, you will need to figure out why the scheduled scans are not happening. It is best to open a support ticket for investigation to find out why.

• Thanks for your reply. I did open a ticket with SW and he helped me with why MAC addresses weren't showing for IPs in IPAM but he has been no help at all with the IP history issue.