11 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 12:28 PM by shirleyje

Remove Quicktime

shirleyje

Since DHS is recommending that Quicktime be removed from all Windows computer, I am looking at how to do this with patch manager.  I have yet to figure how to do that with just trying to creat an uninstall package.  I probably could tack the uninstall Quicktime on to another install package but I don't think I want to go that way.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish the uninstall of Quicktime would be helpful.

• Re: Remove Quicktime
          jbaits

I created a package that runs a WMIC command to remove QuickTime as a pre-install package boot task then just runs a dummy executable that does nothing. This removes any detected QuickTime installs rather than a single version. My applicability rules check for the existence of the primary QuickTime registry key and the installed rule checks that the same key does not exist.

wmic product where "name like '%%QuickTime%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive

in package boot you would need to call cmd.exe then for parameters include /c followed by the desired removal command.

Example: /c wmic product where "name like '%%QuickTime%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              unit9419

can you share the package?

jbaits

Unfortunately since Patch Manager does not actually anonymize when exporting packages I cannot share the package directly but I will gladly answer any questions or provide info on the rules I have set up.

phalanxsd

I've been trying something similar with JAVA since the latest packages do not remove previous versions anymore. 

I've added a step to run CMD.exe with /C wmic product where "name like 'Java%%' and not name like 'Java 8 Update 92%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive

When I try to install the package though windows update errors out with Error 2.  Removing this step in the package allow the new version to install successfully but I lose the necessary cleanup step.  Not sure if anyone has seen similar behavior when calling WMIC but hoping for any input. 

I know i can call an MSI uninstall in PM for individual application GUIDs but I was hoping to keep this step as generic as possible so we can simply increment the v8 version to retain and wipe any version previous versions which may have crept onto the PC.

Any thoughts?

HolyGuacamole

You should be able to open Computer Explorer for any of the computers with QuickTime installed, and then click on the software to Uninstall the software. You can further target this action to a bunch of computers in the uninstall wizard. SPM-InstalledSoftware.png

jerryschwartz

Randy Franklin Smith just posted a blog yesterday about how you can use Patch Manager to inventory all endpoints with Quicktime installed and remotely un-install from those PCs. Here are some resources that you might find helpful:

scottk

I’ll share how I have been uninstalling QuickTime with Patch Manger.

First, I created a custom report under Administration and Reporting > Reporting > Configuration Management Reports > Installed Programs and Features. Basically I use the report to determine the Product Guid for all versions of QuickTime installed in my environment. Since all QuickTime installs were already patched to the latest version, the Product Guid is only {FF59BD75-466A-4D5A-AD23-AAD87C5FD44C}.

Second, I create a standard package under Administration and Reporting > Software Publishing > Apple Packages with the following properties:

- Package Title: Uninstall Apple QuickTime

- Description, Classification, etc.: Whatever you want or need

- Prerequisite Rules: Windows Version >or= to Windows XP (any version less than or equal to what you have in your environment)

- Select Package settings:

- Type: .exe

- Details: sleep.exe (I use a simple batch file to sleep a process from http://www.sleepcmd.com/)

- Package Boot Helper > After applying package: Uninstall MSI {FF59BD75-466A-4D5A-AD23-AAD87C5FD44C}; continue with next action if this action fails. If you have more than one Product Guid in your environment, then add it here.

- Settings > Command Line: 5 /quite

- Applicability Rules: MSI Product Installed: Product ID={FF59BD75-466A-4D5A-AD23-AAD87C5FD44C} If you have more than one Product Guid in your environment, then add it here as well.

- Installed Rules: NOT MSI Product Installed: Product ID={FF59BD75-466A-4D5A-AD23-AAD87C5FD44C} If you have more than one Product Guid in your environment, then add it here as well.

For Java I do something similar, but in addition find I need to create a .vbs to uninstall some JAVA installs, which won’t uninstall via the Product Guid. I run the correct .vbs under Package Boot Helper > After applying package.

Uninstall_Java_Older_8u92_x64_for_x64.vbs

On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _

& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

'Uninstall Java 8 except the current version of Java

Set colJava8dot = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Product Where Name LIKE 'Java 8 Update%(64-bit)' AND NOT Name LIKE 'Java 8 Update 92%'")

For Each objSoftware in colJava8dot

objSoftware.Uninstall()

Next

Uninstall_Java_Older_8u92_x86_for_x64.vbs

On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "."

Set colJava8dot = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Product Where Name LIKE 'Java 8 Update%' AND NOT Name LIKE 'Java 8 Update 92%' AND NOT Name 'Java 8 Update 92 (64-bit)%'")

objSoftware.Uninstall()

Next

Uninstall_Java_Older_8u92_x86_for_x86.vbs

On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "."

Set colJava8dot = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Product Where Name LIKE 'Java 8 Update%' AND NOT Name LIKE 'Java 8 Update 92%'")

objSoftware.Uninstall()

Next

Feel free to reach out if you would like more details on the above methods.

1 of 1 people found this helpful