4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 3:55 PM by gstrike

Autodiscovery of Network Interfaces

gstrike

I've spent a bit of time on this today so I apologize in advance if this is already asked somewhere.

I've recently changed jobs from a place where I implemented ZenOss for network monitoring.  When using ZenOss, it would automatically detect all the network interfaces on device and start monitoring for traffic and errors.  I haven't been able to locate a way to do that in Network Performance Monitor.  I've found the Orion Universal Device Poller utility, but it feels like a very manual process.  Some routers may have 3, some may have 8 ports.

Is there a way to set this up so when I monitor a device via SNMP that it automatically detects the ports and monitors all of them?

Thanks guys!

• Re: Autodiscovery of Network Interfaces
          gstrike

So the good news is that I've realized that this is indeed done by default!  When adding a node I should be able to choose my discovered interfaces on the "Choose Resources" tab.  So that's good.   However, the problem I am having is when adding a node the "Choose Resources" tab is empty.  There are no resources to add.  I am using SNMPv3 and I have verified that I can do an SNMPWALK from the Orion server to the router.

janene16

From the SNMPWalk result, were you able to see indexes for your interfaces? I'm thinking since device is using SNMP version 3 it might be able to see the SysOID but not the information under it.

What object IDs (OIDs) does NPM poll for interface information - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

gstrike

Thank you for the response.  When I used the Solarwinds snmpwalk tool it was able to see the interfaces on the router.  I used SNMPv3 for this as well as the same username.  I ran it from the Orion server.  Below is part of the snmpwalk relating to the network interfaces.

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.1.0 = INTEGER: 7

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.1 = INTEGER: 1

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.2 = INTEGER: 2

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.3 = INTEGER: 3

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.4 = INTEGER: 4

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.5 = INTEGER: 5

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.6 = INTEGER: 6

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.7 = INTEGER: 7

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.1 = STRING: "Embedded-Service-Engine0/0"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.2 = STRING: "GigabitEthernet0/0"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.3 = STRING: "GigabitEthernet0/1"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.4 = STRING: "GigabitEthernet0/2"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.5 = STRING: "Backplane-GigabitEthernet0/3"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.6 = STRING: "Null0"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.7 = STRING: "Tunnel1"

gstrike

I figured this out.  It turns out that I was having some problems with the Visual Studio C++ Redistributables.  I obtained the latest versions from Microsoft and reinstalled the following:

Visual Studio C++ Redistributable 2012 (x86)

Visual Studio C++ Redistributable 2012 (x64)

Visual Studio C++ Redistributable 2013 (x86)

Visual Studio C++ Redistributable 2013 (x64)

After installing those and a reboot, the interfaces started showing up when doing a "List Resources"