3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 10:03 AM by silverbacksays

Primary polling engine is up and down

kyeap89

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with my primary polling engine. The engine status is constantly up & down in every 2-3 minutes. I've checked all the services and all are running.

The thing make me curious is the Last Database update is in negative million minutes ago ???

What's does it mean?

I've ensure my SQL & solarwinds orion server timezone is sync and in same time zone which is GMT+8.

But in the diagnostic report, it still reporting both the server sitting different timezone??

PS: singapore & malaysia is in same timezone +8.

Please help!

3sCfpgH.jpg

r9ibZoU.jpg

aYNMOv5.jpg

• Re: Primary polling engine is up and down
          silverbacksays

Hi kyeap89!

First thing to do would be to BACKUP YOUR ORION DATABASE! Once you've done that, you have a good place to go back to, should any of the following steps cause problems.

After you have the backup, open the SolarWinds Licensing Manager, and check everything looks good there. I've seen issues like the one you report when licenses have either expired or have been deactivated.

Then, I'd check if there's anything off with the regional settings on either server. Set both of them to the same time zone, as even though the GMT offset is the same in the ones you have set currently, there may be code within SolarWinds that expects both primary polling engine and database server match exactly (even down to the name of the time zone).

If this doesn't fix it, try running the configuration wizard and repair everything (note that any website changes you have made will likely be lost, so document any customisations so they can be re-added).

If you're still having problems, I recommend you raise a support ticket at this point!

• Re: Primary polling engine is up and down
              kyeap89

Hi ,

I've input my comments under your questions. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First thing to do would be to BACKUP YOUR ORION DATABASE! Once you've done that, you have a good place to go back to, should any of the following steps cause problems.

Noted.

After you have the backup, open the SolarWinds Licensing Manager, and check everything looks good there. I've seen issues like the one you report when licenses have either expired or have been deactivated.

Yes, the server is loaded with NPM and NCM. Both are running trial licenses, the actual license is purchased but not activated yet. Trial license of NPM had expired but NCM is still valid. Is this the reason?

Then, I'd check if there's anything off with the regional settings on either server. Set both of them to the same time zone, as even though the GMT offset is the same in the ones you have set currently, there may be code within SolarWinds that expects both primary polling engine and database server match exactly (even down to the name of the time zone).

I've double check the regional settings and configured exactly same as each other, include the name of the timezone.

If this doesn't fix it, try running the configuration wizard and repair everything (note that any website changes you have made will likely be lost, so document any customisations so they can be re-added).

Tried and no good news.

If you're still having problems, I recommend you raise a support ticket at this point!

Ticket is raised.