This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Using VQNM for monitoring Cisco 4400 routers

Our environment today is a mix of 3700, 3800, and 3900 routers.  Monitoring IP SLA's on these routers has been hit or miss due to IOS upgrades but for the most part have been reliable.  We use the HTTP IP SLA for monitoring web performance from our branches and the VOIP IP SLA for voice quality.  I wanted to find out if anyone is using Cisco 4400 routers and what their experience has been.

Thanks,

• well it depend on your IOS version on the Device, as long as the device is on the supported IOS version, putting on automatic or manual ipsla.

http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/5175/Supported+devices+in+VNQM+4.2

• VQNM has no ability to push IP SLA operations to IOS-XE routers, to include ASRs and ISR4000 series.  This has been a known shortcoming for a few years.  There is a workaround. If the other end of the operation is a non-IOS XE device, create the operation "in one direction" and have the non-IOS-XE device as the source.

• I've had plenty of luck using ISR 4400's when it comes to ip sla operation creation.  We have ICMP path jitter, traceroute, echo, DNS check, and TCP port check operations working with IOS-XE.  I'm not sure about HTTP checks but it looks like they can do that as well.

There was an issue I ran into where it would not create a udp-jitter operation, but creating it via CLI and importing it manually into VQNM worked (just don't do any auto discovery, manual everything).  This was a slight annoyance but we don't have a huge number of sites.  The VQNM module also allowed us to import data such as MOS score, assuming you define a codec in your udp-jitter operation.  Once that is done, you can actually generate an email alert based on mos score, packet loss, jitter, etc.  One thing to note with this is that you also need to set up an ip sla responder on the target of your operation, or it will fail every time with a no connect issue.

The visualization and graphing is really what makes the difference, imo.  It's pretty cool.

• What version of on VQNM are you using?  I have absolutely had great luck doing those same things prior to IOS XE, especially prior to the Cisco IOS 15.2 family.   The CBQoS graphing has been hit or miss.  Often it works for a while, then tends to break.  One thing that tends to break it is making changes that add or remove classes to an already managed policy on an interface.  I haven't figured out how to recover from it when it does error out.   As far as ISR4Ks go, I would only really be using udp-jitter or VoIP udp-jitter, as those provide the best snapshot for site to site service delivery for traffic that will be noticed first and most as far as degradation goes.  I am going to test it all again tomorrow and test VQNMs ability to build each of the operation types on several versions of ISR4k IOS XE.  I have never tried the "monitor existing operations" area but will now!

• We're running 4.2.2 VQNM.  I forget where or what I was searching for, I may have just copied the text from the page that displays when you try to create a udp jitter operation from the Solarwinds web UI, then dropped that into google.  There was another thread on thwack indicating others had the same problem, but they could manually create the operation and then import it.  Seemed like just a syntax error issue with the job on IOS XE devices.

• Hi,

I am still having an issue with this.  Would you be willing to share the IP SLA configuration that is working for you?  I can't get the IP SLA to work on the 4451x as well as 3900 routers that were upgraded to the 15.x track..

Thanks!

• ip sla 40008

udp-jitter x.x.x.x 32768 source-ip y.y.y.y codec g711ulaw

threshold 1000

ip sla schedule 40008 life forever start-time now

We are also running 03.16.02.S on our routers.

• 16.0.2 OS may not able to pull out the IPSLA commands. VNQM at the moment can poll 15.xx IOS (below version).

Supported call manager devices in VNQM 4.2 - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support