19 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 10:26 AM by mikelowery

Reporting Error

mikelowery

Hey Guys Recently we were editing some of our custom SQL Reports and we were greeted with this lovely error message;

I'm not sure what the cause could be? Any suggestions? a few searches on Google pointed to a temp cache corruption.

System.InvalidCastException: Invalid cast from 'Int32' to 'DateTime'. at

System.Int32.System.IConvertible.ToDateTime(IFormatProvider provider) at System.Convert.ToDateTime(Object value) at

SolarWinds.Orion.Web.Reporting.OrionReportField.b__5(Object o) at

SolarWinds.Orion.Web.Reporting.OrionReportField.ParseValue(Object value) at

SolarWinds.Orion.Web.Reporting.OrionReportHtmlFormatter.GetReport() at

SolarWinds.Orion.Web.Reporting.ReportRunner.WorkerProc(Object state)

Our SQL Code

SELECT
      StartTime.EventTime,
      (SELECT TOP 1
      EventTime
      FROM Events AS Endtime
      WHERE EndTime.EventTime > StartTime.EventTime
      AND EndTime.EventType = 5
      AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N'
      AND EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode
      ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime) AS UpEventTime,
      Nodes.Caption, StartTime.Message, DATEDIFF(Mi, StartTime.EventTime,(SELECT TOP 1 EventTime FROM Events AS Endtime
      WHERE EndTime.EventTime > StartTime.EventTime AND EndTime.EventType = 5 AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N'
      AND EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode  ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime)) AS OutageDurationInMinutes
      FROM Events StartTime INNER JOIN Nodes ON StartTime.NetworkNode = Nodes.NodeID
      WHERE (StartTime.EventType = 1)
      ORDER BY eventtime desc

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: Reporting Error
          Steven Klassen

The query runs fine here and I went through it line by line comparing data types to what I have in my database and I don't see any type mismatches. If you run the same query in SQL Studio do you get data back?

--

Steven W. Klassen

Programmer Analyst @ Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/mrxinu

mikelowery

We are setting up a SQL Studio test server now to see what we get back. One of our programmers in devops seems to think that the error occured when we changed the outageduration in minutes variable. Not coming from a SQL background, it's been a learning experience haha.

Steven Klassen

mikelowery wrote:

We are setting up a SQL Studio test server now to see what we get back. One of our programmers in devops seems to think that the error occured when we changed the outageduration in minutes variable. Not coming from a SQL background, it's been a learning experience haha.

Anything's possible I guess (since I can't reproduce it here) but you're not using the OutageDurationInMinutes field in any comparisons so the failure to cast (or convert) its data type from Int32 to DateTime doesn't make any sense. Typically you'll see that when you're trying to compare fields (WHERE x > y) or evaluate them (WHERE x + y = z) and you need both sides of the equation to be the same type so it can complete the work.

--

Steven W. Klassen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  mikelowery

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid object name 'Events'.

Here is the error message that appeared in SQL Studio.

Steven Klassen

mikelowery wrote:

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid object name 'Events'.

Here is the error message that appeared in SQL Studio.

In this case I think you're probably not targeting the right database. After you open a new query window if you look up and to the left, what does it say in the dropdown? If it still says "master" change that to your database and re-run your query. Alternatively, you can put the following above your query to make sure your query window has the right context:

USE SolarWindsOrion
                      GO

** Of course change from SolarWindsOrion to the name of your database if you changed it from the default.

--

Steven W. Klassen

oludads

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still having the same issue. But I have narrowed it down to this: Now this is SQL Statement I'm working with::

SELECT MAX(VendorIcon) AS VendorIcon,  MAX(Caption) AS Caption,  MAX(StatusLED) AS StatusLED, NodeID, SUM(OutageDurationInMinutes) AS SumOutageDurationInMinutes  FROM (

SELECT

Nodes.VendorIcon,

Nodes.Caption,

Nodes.StatusLED,

Nodes.NodeID,

StartTime.Message,

StartTime.EventTime AS DownEventTime,

(

SELECT TOP 1 EventTime

FROM Events AS EndTimeTable

where EndTimeTable.EventTime >= StartTime.EventTime

AND EndTimeTable.EventType = 5

AND EndTimeTable.NetObjectType = 'N'

AND EndTimeTable.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode

AND EventTime IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY EndTimeTable.EventTime

) AS UpEventTime,

DATEDIFF(Mi, StartTime.EventTime,(

SELECT TOP 1 EventTime FROM Events AS Endtime

where EndTime.EventTime > StartTime.EventTime AND EndTime.EventType = 5 AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N'

AND EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode  ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime)

) AS OutageDurationInMinutes

FROM Events StartTime

INNER JOIN Nodes ON StartTime.NetworkNode = Nodes.NodeID

) AS UpTimeTable

where outageDurationInMinutes IS NOT NULL

GROUP BY NodeID

ORDER BY Caption ASC

I think the Italicized syntax is what needs to change. Basically, I want to change the  SUM(OutageDurationInMinutes) to reflect this "HH24:MI:SS". I have tried numerous MYSQL Date Format but not working.

This is the screenshot below. The SUM of Outage Duration In Minutes is what needs to change to "HH24:MI:SS"..  Thanks for your help.

Steven Klassen

Hi oludads - you mention an outage duration in minutes and then a time format (HH24:MI:SS). Can you tell me what you'd envision that last column looking like? What would an outage duration in HH24:MI:SS look like?

--

Steven W. Klassen

oludads

Hello Steven,

Just wondering if you got my reply to the question you asked last week?

Thanks

Steven Klassen

I did and I asked a follow up question about what that'd look like. Did you see that? I think we're close to a solution but I need info. ☺

Steven Klassen

I've followed up with a PM.

oludads

Hey Steven,

I'm not sure I received your follow up question. Was this the follow up question? " Hi oludads - you mention an outage duration in minutes and then a time format (HH24:MI:SS). Can you tell me what you'd envision that last column looking like? What would an outage duration in HH24:MI:SS look like?"

And who is PM?

Thanks

Steven Klassen

Yes it was! What's the answer? And a PM is a private message.

oludads

Hey Steven,

This is what I replied to the question above.

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still having the same issue. But I have narrowed it down to this: Now this is SQL Statement I'm working with::

SELECT MAX(VendorIcon) AS VendorIcon,  MAX(Caption) AS Caption,  MAX(StatusLED) AS StatusLED, NodeID, SUM(OutageDurationInMinutes) AS SumOutageDurationInMinutes  FROM (

SELECT

Nodes.VendorIcon,

Nodes.Caption,

Nodes.StatusLED,

Nodes.NodeID,

StartTime.Message,

(

SELECT TOP 1 EventTime

) AS UpEventTime,

where EndTime.EventTime > StartTime.EventTime AND EndTime.EventType = 5 AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N'

FROM Events StartTime

) AS UpTimeTable

GROUP BY NodeID

ORDER BY Caption ASC

I think the Italicized syntax is what needs to change. Basically, I want to change the  SUM(OutageDurationInMinutes) to reflect this "HH24:MI:SS". I have tried numerous MYSQL Date Format but not working.

This is the screenshot below. The SUM of Outage Duration In Minutes is what needs to change to "HH24:MI:SS"..  Thanks for your help.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks

Steven Klassen

Okay, taking another stab at this. If this doesn't help or move us forward I propose we hop on a GoToMeeting session over the weekend and discuss it real-time. I'm determined to help you fix this!

2016-04-26_16-59-41.png

oludads

That's exactly it Steven. The '01:30:02' to represent 1 hour, 30 minutes, and 2 seconds is what we are looking to have. Thank you Steven, you narrowed it down to the point.

Steven Klassen

Here's my first swing at it - since the outage is already being presented in minutes I went to hours & minutes with it:

2016-04-27_23-16-09-filtered.png

Here's the adjusted SQL:

SELECT tbl.VendorIcon, tbl.Caption, tbl.StatusLED, tbl.NodeID,
                                                                       (tbl.SumOutageDurationInMinutes / 60) AS Hours,
                                                                       (tbl.SumOutageDurationInMinutes - ((tbl.SumOutageDurationInMinutes / 60) * 60)) AS Minutes
                                                                FROM
                                                                (
                                                                SELECT MAX(VendorIcon) AS VendorIcon,  MAX(Caption) AS Caption,  MAX(StatusLED) AS StatusLED, NodeID, SUM(OutageDurationInMinutes) AS SumOutageDurationInMinutes
                                                                FROM (
                                                                  SELECT
                                                                  Nodes.VendorIcon,
                                                                  Nodes.Caption,
                                                                  Nodes.StatusLED,
                                                                  Nodes.NodeID,
                                                                  StartTime.Message,
                                                                  (
                                                                  SELECT TOP 1 EventTime
                                                                  ) AS UpEventTime,
                                                                  FROM Events StartTime
                                                                ) AS UpTimeTable
                                                                GROUP BY NodeID
                                                                ) tbl
                                                                --ORDER BY Caption ASC

The next step is going to be changing the DATEDIFF to provides seconds instead of minutes to get the hour/minute/second precision. I'll take another look at it as soon as I've slept - it's been a long day.