To follow up. Solved the issue by now. The problem was that the main poller was indeed on version 6.2.3 but a slightly different different build number SAM 184.108.40.206xx vs SAM 220.127.116.11xx in the install package. I've "upgraded" to the latest build on the poller and that fixed it.
I have the same issue. What was your upgrade procedure?
Was it this?
- Shutdown all
- Run SAM 6.2.3 full installer
- Start all
- Install additional polling engine
I contact SLW Tech support this morning and linked your post to let them know that I'm not the only one with the issue.
I had the issue while trying to install a secondary website and an additional poller.
In these packages there was a slightly newer SAM build than I had installed at the time (installed SAM 18.104.22.168xxx).
I downloaded the same SAM build (22.214.171.12464 at that time) and installed is on my main poller. Followed the install procedure as always. Meaning as it was such a small "upgrade", I did not bother to stop the services or to run a DB backup, but that I leave that up to you
After that the check for the 2nd poller / 2nd webserver ran successfully and I could install it without an issue
Thanks. That worked for me. I initially had an issue because Windows firewall blocked port 17777, and after I fixed that , the compatibility check failed. This was happening while my main poller was pegged at 100% CPU, which is why I needed another poller quickly!
Now I have 2 pollers, both under 50% CPU utilization and my users are happy.