This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Large drive sizes incorrect for AIX servers

I have several AIX servers for which NPM is reporting incorrect drive sizes for large drives. of course, the utilization values are then miscalculated. I am a little surprised that that this phenomenon still exists in Orion as I had thought it had been resolved in a previous version.

Questions.... how can NPM properly report drive size for some drives on a server and not for others? And, is the only solution to use a custom OID poller? Does anyone an alternative OID for this?

Thanks for any help.

• Orion only knows what it gets from the HOST-RESOURCES information that it gets back via SNMP. Could you run an snmpwalk against the server and see if you're getting the same information? I know that the handful of AIX hosts that I've worked with needed an entirely different SNMP daemon installed on an alternate port to get the information that the stock daemon didn't provide.

--

Steven W. Klassen

Programmer Analyst @ Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/mrxinu

• Hi Steven,

Are there any specific MIBs for AIX through which it polls the memory utilization?

Like for Linux I found below OID from another thread:

1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.5.0 => memTotalReal

1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.6.0 => memAvailReal

1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.14.0 => memBuffer

1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.15.0 => memCache

and if it is via HOST RESOURCES MIB then which OID actually gives the information for Memory?

• The most straightforward way to find it on your system is to download an evaluation copy of the Engineer's Toolset and run MIB Walk. Then you can shop through the 1.3.6.1.4.1 (enterprise) OIDs for anything that looks like it might be a match. At least then when you found something you could be 100% sure that your device provides the data. Otherwise you're just hunting in the dark.

• Just to add to Steven's thought - you can also run "SNMPWalk.exe" from your solarwinds poller.

And actually, I would start by doing an SNMP walk on the machine itself, as root. Then run SNMPwalk.exe and compare the results. If they DO NOT match, you have a permission issue within SNMPD.CONF (or the equivalent. I can't remember off the top of my head.).

if they DO match but you can't find an OID you need or like, then another option - if you have SAM - is to use SAR commands in a shell script. There are two templates on content exchange (search thwack for "LPAR" and you'll find them) that should get you started.

Hope this helps. keep us posted.

• yes I did that infact but I guess what Leon suggested I need to do that first...need to get the conf file from Linux admin and verify what value is getting sent and post that I can check with MIB and the OID that's required.