10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 12:49 PM by akhasheni

What do "total bytes" mean?

akhasheni

What does each bar in the "Total Bytes Transferred" chart mean?

Total bytes transferred within the timeframe that bar covers? (In the above chart, that'd be 7TB over the span of six hours.) Or average number of bytes transferred per hour? If the latter, does it make the chart's title misleading?

Thanks!

(Reference: Question about polling and statistics w/ regard to total bytes transferred report. )

• Re: What do "total bytes" mean?
          mesverrum

You were right in the first place, that is the total bytes transferred across all monitored interfaces that your Solarwinds knows about.

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

akhasheni

that is the total bytes transferred across all monitored interfaces

Over what timeframe? Since the beginning of time? The timeframe of the graph? (Neither option appears to be the right answer - please read my post.)

..and maybe go easy on those sig blocks?

mesverrum

Total bytes transferred on network hardware is reported via SNMP as a counter that is being updated on the device pretty much constantly but the default behavior for solarwinds is to use a 32 bit counter that rolls over after about 4gb, maybe you need 64 bit counters on that device,  See this thread and see if that helps your graphs

Allowing 64 bit Counters

akhasheni

Sorry, I can't see the relevance of this to my question.

mesverrum

The counters roll over few gb and start from zero again, it is possible that when zoomed out as far as you are the graph is comparing the counter at the start of the segment to the counter at the end of the interval, or possibly some subset of them like only once an hour instead of adding up every 10 minute interval within the 6 hour period.

This might explain the discrepancy when you look at the graph at different levels of zoom

64 bit counters can represent larger amounts of bytes without rolling over.  You might be using 32 bit counters, you can check in settings> polling settings near the bottom of the page make sure counter rollover is method 2

Raul Gonzalez

Hi

you can see the time frame when you roll the mouse over the graph. In the screenshot you can see the timeframe is 6 hours (from 6  to 11.59), it means that the total amount of bytes transfered from 6:00 to 11:59 was 7TB.

If you edit the view resource you can change the sample interval, however bear in mind if your amount of historical data loaded is too large, you won't be able to select the shortest sample intervals (if you select display last 12 months, you won't be able to have a 10 min sample interval ).

Raul Gonzalez

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg 

akhasheni

it means that the total amount of bytes transfered from 6:00 to 11:59 was 7TB.

You know that for sure or just guessing?

Here is an exercise you can do: zoom in on a similar chart so you have more bars for the same time frame and compare to the original. I did and in fact linked to the results in my original post. Hint: they contradict your answer.

Raul Gonzalez

Hi

I'm sure based on the information that graph is displaying.

If you zoom in, the amount of bytes transferred should be the same for the same time frame. If it is not I would raise a ticket with SolarWinds as this is how it should work.

Raul Gonzalez

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg

akhasheni

I'm sure based on the information that graph is displaying.

Raul, may I recommend to be more than just "sure" when your sig block says "Solarwinds consultancy" in it?

If it is not I would raise a ticket with SolarWinds as this is how it should work.

I'll consider that. May I in turn recommend abstaining from technically unsupported guesswork?

Bottom line: wrong answer, at least based on the first post in this thread.

akhasheni

What does each bar in the "Total Bytes Transferred" chart mean?

Total bytes transferred within the timeframe that bar covers? (In the above chart, that'd be 7TB over the span of six hours.) Or average number of bytes transferred per hour? If the latter, does it make the chart's title misleading?

The answer is actually contained in the question, via a link to another post: Question about polling and statistics w/ regard to total bytes transferred report.

Each bar in the chart means "Average bytes transferred per hour". In the chart above that number is 7TB for a period of 6 hours. The chart below represents the same 6-hour timeframe; the sum of bar values is 41.8TB, with the average right around 7TB. Solarwinds probably imagined the word "total" to mean "total across multiple nodes" vs. "total over a timeframe", not realizing it could be misconstrued, as evident from this thread. In other words - yes, the chart's title is misleading.