7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 6:10 AM by Milan_Volejnik

alert for VMOTION

blackpearl

how to trigger an alert for VMOTION please? Thank you.

• Re: alert for VMOTION
          rharland2012

Detail is your friend here if you're looking for assistance.

What do you want to alert on? A vMotion taking place? A vMotion failing? Both? Something else?

blackpearl

Actually I need to fine-tune some alerts as I am getting false alerts when vMotion is performed , below are the 2 false alerts that I get

Description: Fires whenever VMs have been rebooted via hypervisor within 30 minutes.  The alert will lower once the VM has been up for longer than 30 minutes.

Description: Hosts that have been rebooted within the past 30 minutes

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  rharland2012

Not sure about the hosts false alert, but the VM alert I assume is looking at some uptime counter on the host/cluster. Are you using VMAN to monitor clusters or separate hosts?

blackpearl

yes We are using VMAN to monitor our vCenter, having several clusters and hosts inside them with VMs. and these messages come once we perform vMotion.

rharland2012

That's not the normal behavior. If we were getting alerted every time a vMotion happened with a VM reboot message, we would not enjoy that.

I have to say at this point that the right call is to open a case with support. You can guess, and dig around, and try to find out why this is happening - or get support involved, look at some stuff, and hopefully get it solved sooner.

Milan_Volejnik

blackpearl, good news. A new attribute is gathered from VMware for Virtual machines: vm.osuptime

• collected by Performance job
                              • available only when vmware tools installed and enabled
                              • no data for HyperV
                              • not reset by vMotion

So if you adjust your alerts to use vm.osuptime, you won't get false positive alerts when vMotion is performed.

All you need to do is to download and install VMAN 6.3.1 HF1.

chrispaap

I agree with Russ for you to open a ticket.  Once you have a case number send number send that to me and I will track it from the SolarWinds side.