This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WorldMap (Mapquest/OpenStreetMap not Atlas) not AutoAdding

I have added Latitude and Longitude as a custom property, I also have selected automatic geo-location as an option in the web console setting. I have also previously have added snmp location strings to our routers and switches, I cannot for the life of me get this to work. Does anyone have some tips or hints? I have opened a case #952844, but I am not getting very far.

• I have learned the below, but I am still getting a 403 forbidden in the log file:

The worldwide map resource is not populating with your nodes information after 90 minutes even if you have configured the SNMP location field on your nodes. The following error is seen in C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Logs\Orion\Core.BusinessLayer.log:

ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.ActionExecutorBase - Action [Action: ID: , ActionType: Geolocation, Title: , Description: , Enabled: True, Order: 0 , Context:EnviromentType: WorldMap] execution has failed.
    System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(String address)
    at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Geolocation.GeolocationExecutor.UpdateCacheWithResults(String requestUrl)
    at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Geolocation.GeolocationExecutor.ExecuteInternal()

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.ActionExecutorBase.Execute(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, ActionDefinition definition, ActionContextBase context, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

If you have the above error it is because of Mapquest API.

The resolution:

1. 1. Generate a key for your site on https://developer.mapquest.com/plan_..._free/register
    2. 2. Take that key and open the following file in notepad:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\SolarWinds.Orion.Core.BusinessLayer.dll.config

1. 3. Look at the section appSettings. After that tag, add the following:

<add key="MapQuestKey" value="your key value" />

1. 4. If you look in that file you will see a lot of "add key" with a value paired to it. Match that format, except use the above MapQuestKey for the key= and then insert your personal key after value=

Below the information from our private key from the Map quest web site

My Application’s Keys

Consumer Key

z5oqG0NaXFFJaVCkmWiblCgUqLo5uYCj

Consumer Secret

adAaQH8LmkBWNSIG

Key Issued

Wed, 01/20/2016 - 10:45

Key Expires

Never

add key="MapQuestKey" [Consumer Key goes here] value="your key value"[Consumer secret goes here]

Below will be the result for the new Key

<add key="z5oqG0NaXFFJaVCkmWiblCgUqLo5uYCj" value="adAaQH8LmkBWNSIG " />

1. 4. After that, restart the Orion Module Engine / Business Layer service.
    2. 5. In the Orion Web Console, browse to Settings >Web Console Settings.
    3. 6. Verify that the Automatic Geolocation is enabled. If not, enable it. Wait for 90 minutes and the locations should be updated on the map.

• I can successfully test the access from my server with the URL: http://www.mapquestapi.com/geocoding/v1/address?key=z5oqG0NaXFFJaVCkmWiblCgUqLo5uYCj&location=Lancaster,PA&callback=rend…

That article is poorly written, but I believe you should add the solarwinds consumer key -OR- your own personal consumer key with this format:

<add key="MapQuestKey" value="z5oqG0NaXFFJaVCkmWiblCgUqLo5uYCj" />

I too am still receiving 403 errors in my logs and have case #1010716 open. Did you ever get a resolution?

• I gave up and went with the GoogleAPI. That worked until I went to 12, then I had problems with it and swapped it back to mapquest until I can get google fixed.

• Thanks for the follow up. One thing I did figure out today is my first line after <appSettings> was a comment. Removing that comment got things mapping for me after the first line is <add key="MapQuest....... instead. Only a fraction of my nodes have mapped but I am going to give it some more time.

• Hi.

So how does your line look like now ?

• About 60% of my devices mapped finally, but then two days later mapquest changed the API and I don't have tiles now. We applied hotfix 2 for 11.5.3 yesterday and more devices are mapping, but still no tiles. I'm still working on it now.