8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2017 8:10 PM by Manilyn Ramos

How do I delete a node from SW using the Orion SDK

michael.allen

I have a server decom script that I wrote in Powershell that removes everything from a node except for Solarwinds prior to it being removed from the network. It would be super helpful if I could automate the removal of a node as I am stuck doing this part manually, and it is the only manual part of the process.

How would I write this in Powershell? I tried to modify the unmanage script that was posted on the forum, but am not having any luck with it.

Thanks!

• Re: How do I delete a node from SW using the Orion SDK
          michael.allen

Nevermind. I figured out the solution myself.

pjohn07

Hi Michael,

I am in the same boat.  Can you share the SQL or SWQL you used to bulk delete?

tdanner

In PowerShell the "Remove-SwisObject" cmdlet can be used to delete a node from Orion. You need to get the node's Uri first. You can use a query like this to do that:

SELECT Uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE --your criteria here

pjohn07

Thanks tdanner,

I am coding in Perl using the REST API and figured this out using your documentation REST · solarwinds/OrionSDK Wiki · GitHub

However, I am trying to modify some nodes now (removing interfaces without deleting the whole node).  I've also heard about this "Remove-SwisObject" from David Byrd.  Is there any kind of equivalent code I can conjure up in Perl to replicate?

tdanner

To delete a bunch of interfaces, first get their Uris using a query, then issue a POST request to /SolarWinds/InformationService/v3/Json/BulkDelete with a body like this:

{

"uris":[

"swis://dev-che-mjag-01./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=4/Interfaces/InterfaceID=548",

"swis://dev-che-mjag-01./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=4/Interfaces/InterfaceID=545",

"swis://dev-che-mjag-01./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=4/Interfaces/InterfaceID=546"]

}

Manilyn Ramos

So, I tried your URL suggestion  using PERL script.. however,  it didn't work to remove my devices

tdanner

What response code did you get from the server? Can you share the perl code you used?

Manilyn Ramos

Response code: 500

JSON response document: "The body of the message cannot be read because it is empty."

my $client = REST::Client->new();

# don't verify SSL certs                                                                                                     

$client->getUseragent()->ssl_opts(verify_hostname => 0);                                                                     

$client->getUseragent()->ssl_opts(SSL_verify_mode => 'SSL_VERIFY_NONE');

# add authentication header

$client->setHost('https://' . $hostname . ':17778');

$client->addHeader('Authorization', 'Basic ' . encode_base64("$username:$password", ''));

my @itemremove ('1.1.1.1', '2.2.2.2', '3.3.3.3');

foreach my $IP (@itemremove) {

my $query = "SELECT uri FROM Orion.Nodes where IP_Address = '$IP'";

my $response = $client->POST('/SolarWinds/InformationService/v3/Json/BulkDelete' . uri_encode($query));

print 'Response code: ' . $client->responseCode() . "\n";

print 'JSON response document: ' . $client->responseContent() . "\n";

my $results = parse_json $client->responseContent();            #I also tried removing this.. but still to no avail... I also tried removing "my $results" but same error encountered

# remove

--> I also tried the delete command then, instead of POST, I used GET and query

my $query = "SELECT uri FROM Orion.Nodes where IP_Address = '$IP'";

my $response = $client->GET('/SolarWinds/InformationService/v3/Json/Query?query=' . uri_encode($query));

foreach my $node(@{$results->{results}}){

delete ($node->{uri});

}

}

When I hit ran and the result was successful, I thought that they were removed  but when I checked my SolarWinds db, the records are still there:(

so, any other idea on how to do this on PERL? Or is there any wrong with my PERL script?