1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 2:41 PM by jesnyder

How do you handle UTC Date/Time stamps in custom SWQL Reports?  More alert variables would decrease the need for custom SWQL

jesnyder

1. Is anyone running into issues with UTC Date/Time stamps being stored in the database?  How are you handling these UTC time stamps when using custom SWQL?

2. More VMAN variables inside the NPM alerting interface would be nice.  For example, “Snapshot Name”.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Here is an example of an issue where I ran into UTC.  I also have the UTC issue on some custom SWQL reports.

When creating a VMware snapshot alert I came across the following issue with Orion Date/Time Stamps being stored in UTC inside the database.  We have had other reporting issues with this when using Custom SWQL reports for when UDT interfaces were last seen as well.  Is there any easy way to convert from UTC to our time zone using SWQL? It would also be nice to have alert variables for snapshot name in NPM as well which would have prevented this attempt at customization in the first place.  Please feel free to let me know if there is a more efficient way of getting this into an alert.

I wrote a query to find the snapshot name of old snapshots as there was not an existing variable I could find for this...

Alert Variable: Snapshot Name: ${SQL: SELECT Name FROM [dbo].[VIM_Snapshots] WHERE VirtualMachineID = '${N=SwisEntity;M=VirtualMachineID}'}

This works ok.  However, what if there are multiple snapshots on this machine? I thought I could modify the query to be more specific by looking for the DateCreated field as well.

Something similar to this...

Alert Variable: Snapshot Name: ${SQL: SELECT Name FROM [dbo].[VIM_Snapshots] WHERE VirtualMachineID = '${N=SwisEntity;M=VirtualMachineID}'} AND DateCreated = '${N=SwisEntity;M=OldestSnapshotDate}'}

This is where I started to run into issues with the UTC value in the database vs the EST value in the variable.