6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 8:44 AM by sm15

Polling for UpTime

sm15

Hello,

I'm trying to update our use of SolarWinds at the moment, and I've hit a massive road block when it comes to monitoring the system uptime on a view and a report.

We have it on other views using a Universal Device Poller and it works just fine, outputs the uptime in days as a decimal, however when I am trying to do it for these specific nodes it just has a blank table.

I've added another node to the view which is successfully polled in other views and that one seems to work fine, however the others don't. In fact, none of the routers do.

Therefore I'm not sure if there's more configuration that needs to be done to get them showing or if it just can't be done this way for routers?

You can see from the screenshot the devices I've included in the view (and have included them to be used in the poller) but only one is showing in the table.

In case you can't tell I've only just started using SolarWinds last week so struggling a little bit!

Thank you in advance,

Sam

• Re: Polling for UpTime
          Parker Robinson

Just to clarify and from what I've gathered in your post and in the screenshot, the UnDP for system uptime you have created is only working for that WLSNIT001 node?

I would start by checking to see that UnDP for system uptime is applied to all of the nodes you need it on, and also test it against all wanted nodes while you are in the Universal Device Poller program.  Also, keep in mind, and as you probably already know, you will need to create a different UnDP for different model/manufacturer nodes since they all use different OID's.  In other words, a Juniper System Uptime UnDP will not work on a Cisco device.

sm15

Yes that's the only one it's working on..

That's the thing, I'm not sure how to check it's applied or to test it against them, I don't have access to any actual programs, only to our solarwinds website where I edit the views, alerts and such, I can't find any options where I can actually see which nodes have which pollers applied. All I can see is that they are being polled, and that information.

They all do have the last boot date in their information so I assumed that that would be enough for the program to work out it's uptime?

And so I don't know how, or if I can, test it either. I don't even know what the UnDP program is so I assume I can't access it.

And yes, they're all Cisco devices so that shouldn't be an issue..

Parker Robinson

The program is called Universal Device Poller and it is on your Orion Server.  If you cannot I access that, I would try setting up a "custom poller" to pull that information and that can be done through the web console.  Now the only problem is that custom pollers can only poll predefined technologies:  CPU & Memory and Node Details.  The Universal Device Poller is used if you need anything more than that.  That being said, creating a custom poller for "Node Details" may pull that uptime.   Go to Settings in the upper right, and then Manage Pollers, click on Creat New Poller.  Choose Node Details from the Technology drop down box and run through the wizard.

sm15

I can't create a new poller for Node Details as we already have one which polls for all the information possible - we do get information for the last time the node was booted, however there isn't a way to convert this into actual uptime.

Because you can only have one poller for node details I can't find a way to add system uptime onto this as we already poll for all the information possible?

sm15

I've just been looking around at what we're actually polling for for these routers and it looks like we're already actually polling for uptime .. it's just not showing up in the UnDP Top XX resource in the views.. So I don't really know where to go from here, it says it's polling for exactly the same stuff as the node while it is coming up for, but it's still not working for ANY of the routers in the network.

pollers print screen.jpg

sm15

I got it working!!

Thank you so much for your help, it was the pollers I screen shot above which were the issue, the one shown I had to untick and retick them both and then none of the other routers had them ticked so had to go to each router individually and activate them.

All working fine now!

Thank you!