6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 7:57 AM by nick_scott

PowerShell or Python ?

nick_scott

Ive taken a few python classes at school a while back and while I enjoyed it I never used it too much in the real world. From doing research and reading various posts I seem to have this feeling that knowing powershell vs python would put me in a much better position to excel as a SolarWinds admin.  Curious on Tdanners and others thoughts. 

• Re: PowerShell or Python ?
          tdanner

In general, you can do the same stuff from either language. Python is better as a general purpose programming/scripting language. If your job is SolarWinds + Windows admin work, PowerShell is worth learning. If you also have Linux or other non-Windows boxes to administer, you are probably better off focusing on Python.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            mraky

both have some learning curve, and unless you are pure windows oriented, i would suggest invest your time to learning python...

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                nick_scott

That's kind of what I was thinking, not to mention I just don't get excited for learning anything based on a Windows platform.  Much appreciated guys, think IM going to continue down the python path.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                bluefunelemental

To be honest I have a UNIX background and after switching to a company that's mostly windows and ms products I have found Powershell more helpful. Our DevOps team focuses on Python and I'm good to go if need be but find Powershell invoke-restMethod and SQL functions far more familiar to bash scripting.

I also find Powershell always works on every solarwinds server I locate - Python on windows can have such dependency issues you can loose alot of time right there.

Michael Halpin

It's purely down to preferences and circumstances really. I'm a PowerShell guy, but that came from years of Windows-only work, and some unique challenges that I found PowerShell much more suited to. You can get PowerShell on Linux now, if needed, (you can also get Bash on Windows). For Orion work I favour PowerShell, again because it's native to the Orion servers themselves.

But if I was doing mainly *nix work, or even more networking I would head for Python. I have seen some vicious stuff on the web when Microsoft announced the Linux support, but at the end of the day, whatever works..

(Disclaimer: I started a thread on how to build a toolkit for PowerShell over on the EMEA Group! I'm hoping to do more regularly on it)

nick_scott

Thanks for all the tips and advice, in case anyone was curious things are definitely leaning towards Powershell