This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Server HW and SW specs for 20000 device environment

Hi!

Can somebody tell server HW and SW specs for 20000 device environment?

What I need for:

-Network Performance Monitor (NPM) with 6 x extra polling engine

-Network Configuration Manager (NCM)

-NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA)

-IP Address Manager (IPAM)

BR Julle

• I can only speak for NPM, but:

We are currently monitoring 15,000+ elements with 1 NPM server * 2x8‑Core Procs and 16GB RAM (no additional polling engines) with a dedicated SQL server having similar specs.

Default polling interval of 2 minutes and performance is nearly ideal. I will provision some more RAM for this server to bridge that gap.

• Not enough information here: What type of devices?

e.g. i have 13,000 wireless access points, but only 20 wireless controllers -> only 20 elements being polled.

some of our switches have two monitored interfaces (3 elements) , some of our router have 1,000 VLAN interfaces (1000 elements)

so, for NPM count elements = number of monitorted nodes + number of monitored interfaces + number of monitored volumes...

NCM scales with NPM -- if your server is big enough for NPM it'll be big enough for the additional NCM load.

for NTA how many flows?

-> size your FLOWDB server based on that (see the FAQ)

IPAM has negligible load because it does very little

• Hi!

About 10000 APs with 3 big wireless controllers and other 10000 devices are mainly switches.

/Julle

• 15,000+ elements with 1 NPM server * 2x8‑Core Procs and 16GB RAM and NO ADDITIONAL POLLING ENGINES?

I have similar specs with same amount of network elements and I'm currently 148% its maximum rate. Do you get the same issue? If not, what did u do to lower your polling rate?

• Honestly, I'd not put anything than a SSD in most servers now, and so for the SQlserver you'd be better off with mirrored SSD than putting in a raid10 array

• you can pretty much ignore the thinAP count, because those are not polled directly; you have at least 30K  elements 

(#switches* (device + local interface+remote interface) + #wireless controllers) Which puts you at the top end of the server specifications iun the document below. honestly I'd put SSD in the SQL server with mirrored disks instead of an array. the sqlserver performance is the most significant element IMNSHO.

• My 'Polling Rate' is at 134% right now. As far as I know, that's just a basic numbers calculation that orion does based on 12k elements, not a measurement of performance.

My 'Polling Completion' rate stays at 100(%) 99.5 percent of the time. It will drop to 99.9 or 99.8 on occasion and what that results in is a miniscule delay in polling. That is an actual performance metric that you should be aware of.

If anything I want to add a small server to host the website separately. Our only performance issue is slow-loading pages, and/or needing to refresh.

• Personally, I want to keep my polling rate as close to 100% as possible, the same with polling completion (for obvious reasons). Whist jokerfest​ seems to have no problems with his environment, I try to stick to around 12K elements per polling engine.

With 30K+ elements in your proposed estate, you may need to look at stacking your polling engines​​, if you go with one massive polling server. You might be able to manage with one, but budget for a second just in case you see polling issues.

This assumes your Wireless Access Points are not autonomous (i.e. they support SNMP, and can be managed independently of the Wireless Controller). If they are, then you'll be looking at around 20K elements, which is still a bit of a stretch for the capabilities of a single polling engine.