5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 9:15 AM by neal.silvers

Controlling Devices

neal.silvers

Is there a way to control devices in the private community in NPM? I don't see a place to enter the private password when adding the devices.

• Re: Controlling Devices
          brandon.blaze

When adding a node, there's an option for the Read/Write Community String - that would be your private SNMP string.  You're really going to get the added benefit if you've got NCM as well so you're able to push changes to your devices/nodes.  If you're using SNMPv3, choose that option from the drop down in the same section and enter in the necessary username/password information.

See screenshots below:

SNMPv2c

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.48.59 AM.png

SNMPv3

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.51.48 AM.png

• Re: Controlling Devices
              neal.silvers

I am trying to set a control on a Packetflux site monitor. It is using SNMPV1. I can manually log into the device and set the control but would love to be able to do it from Solarwinds. Any help would be appreciated. I can see other info on the device like temperature and voltage by creating a poller that looks directly at the OID for that but I don't see a place to enter the password for the read/write community (private) and I have to send the info to the unit with that community string for it to actually write the value to the control relay. Or so I think that's what I have to do. Anyway I can't add the private community into Solarwinds and get a good test back when I try to address the unit. I can manually log into it by navigating to it in my browser and the logging into the private community. Once there I can set the control but Ieally would rather not have to open another browser window and log into the device if Ii could do it through Solarwinds.