3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 9:53 AM by ecklerwr1

Monitoring vBlocks

smoked_angus

We are impementing and transfering our infrastructure over to vBlocks over the next 2 to 3 years.

Our Solarwinds servers will eventually be upgraded to new machines and OS as well.

My question is, I am confident that we need to keep our Solarwinds servers out of the vBlock and monitor them from the "outside", but

what case can I make for doing so? Bullet points?

• Re: Monitoring vBlocks
          ecklerwr1

I suppose it comes down to what do the EMC people allow you to do with it.  Are these going to be your own appliances or are they going to be hosted by someone else?  Also what kind of control will you have over permissions and firewall rules?  If you won't be able to control some of that very well it maybe harder to manage.  If you will have full control I'll tell you I have all of my SolarWinds running on VMware but it's in our own cloud... even my SQL servers are virtualized.

smoked_angus

Good morning, and thanks, should have clarified, this is a private cloud situation. I am only semi familiar with the architecture to date, but my thoughts are if something goes wrong if my solarwinds VMs and appliances are hosted in the private cloud, and something traumatic goes wrong within the VCE cluster, then we have issues monitoring it...

ecklerwr1

It's true having your Orion virtualized means there are some pitfalls depending on how it's built.  In general though in some ways if the vCloud is setup correctly it actually can make your monitoring system more resilient. For example use High Availability in vSphere and if one ESX hosts fails the VM will run on another instead.  Don't get me wrong... virtualization can be fraught with problems.  I was very apprehensive about going full virtual with our Orion at first.  Over time I've grown to think it's ok.