5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 10:10 AM by pzjones

Customize a Node Down Alert

pzjones

We have an alert configured to notify us whenever a node goes down. And for the most part this works fine. However, we have a couple of devices (aka Nodes) that when they do go down, we don't care but another group does and wants to be alerted. The 'Node Down Alert' alerts my team. We have a separate alert set up to notify the team responsible for these other devices and they do get that alert. Because, however, we are set up to get an alert whenever a node goes down, we also get alerted even though we are not listed in the second configured alert. Is there a way to remove these nodes from the 'Alert me when a node goes down' alert so only the alert to the interested group gets executed? Thank you?

• Re: Customize a Node Down Alert
          prawij

You could set the alert your team receives to only act on a select group of nodes, then set to either include or exclude the nodes that the other team receives but that your team doesn't care about.

Default scope of alert is "All objects in my environment"

When you click on "Only following set of objects" you get additional logic to select.

trigger condition.png

Another option is to create a custom property for each node, we do that so that we can base an alert on say "Windows" or "Unix", and define alerts to each group as appropriate that fire when a node with that custom property goes down. This allows you to define the alert recipient at time of node creation, as opposed to having to modify an alert each time you add a node.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Anthony Ussery

Seconding what prawij said.  I went so far as to create a custom property called "AlertGroup" that lets me name what team(s) get the alert, then I have the alerts look for a string in that field and, if found, email the corresponding team's DL.

Another thing that helps with is letting me automate quarterly reports that look for a team's name in the AlertGroup field and email them a list of every node they're getting alerted on.  They get to go down the list and say "this server is missing" or "we don't need this anymore," making sure the results stay relevant to their needs.

kenjhen

+1 for the use of Custom Properties. This has been a tremendous way for us to create granular alerts but exclude our Operations team from them. Good call on a quarterly audit of all the existing alerts. I'm sure we're probably 1-2 years due for an audit... :-)

pzjones

Thank you to everyone for your input! Truly appreciated!