Basically you need to provided two information to the package,
1. To check if the application can be installed (Applicability Rules)
2. To check if the application is installed (Installed Rules)
In Applicability Rules you need to provide the info as mentioned,
c:\windows\sytem32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe. File less than 6.3 (try to provide full file version 6.3.xxx.xxx)
In Installed Rules you need to provide,
c:\windows\sytem32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe.. File version equal to 6.3 (try to provide full file version 6.3.xxx.xxx)
Typically you'd define 3 rulesets for each package: Prerequisite, Applicability, and Installed rules.
- Prerequisite rules are basically used to 'weed-out' machines at a high level. The rules there must evaluate as True for the target machine to accept the update as "Applicable". Typically the rules here would be things like "must be English language" or "must be at least Windows verson X service pack Y", or "must have an x64 processor", etc... If the net value of the ruleset here is False, the update is considered to be Not Applicability and it doesn't even finish evaluating the other rulesets.
- Applicability rules typically dive a little deeper. These will check things like file versions or registry values, and the rules here still have to evaluate as True for the update to be considered Applicable. This ruleset serves a couple of important functions: it keeps you from overwriting later versions of the application and also keeps it from installing over and over. Most commonly this is accomplished by a file version check that makes sure that IF the application is already there that the version of what's there is LESS THAN the version your package is now trying to install..
- Installed rules basically just recognize that this particular update is already installed and reports that info back to WSUS. Often this rule will be almost identical to the Applicability rule...for a file version check, for example, the main change would be that this one would be 'equal to' instead of 'less than'. Installed Rules do not have a direct bearing on whether this update is considered to be Applicable.