This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Mixed OS Environment Question

Hello All,

I have read the following document, but would like to obtain some clarity on it. Using Patch Manager and WSUS in a mixed OS environment

In my environment we have the following setup:

• Upstream WSUS 2012 R2 server - Located locally in our datacenter
  • SolarWinds Patch Manager Server (All roles on single server) 2012 R2 server - Located locally in our datacenter
  • Remote sites (65 separate Downstream WSUS Servers) - Mixed between 2003 R2 SP2 and 2012 R2 Servers (Slow migration toward all 2012 R2 Servers)

I just came across the linked article yesterday when I realized I was getting the There is a version mismatch between the WSUS server API version "x.x.x" and the WSUS client API version "x.x.x" errors.

To correct this issue In my situation, would I need to stand up an additional 2003 WSUS (dummy) server in our datacenter with the Automation Role, then have all of my downstream 2003 WSUS servers point back to it via the Automation Server Routing Rules? I do not quite follow what the documentation is pointing to as a best practice setup for a mixed environment like ours.

Also, in general, would there be any other best practice recommendations for a mixed environment such as this? Please feel free to let me know if any clarification is needed for any of the above.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.