This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Reporting on Exchange uptime

I've been tasked with creating an availability report for Exchange to give to management every month.  Problem is I'm new to Solarwinds and don't have any experience with Exchange.  I've searched around but kind find a good place to start.  During my searching I've found Solarwinds can monitor Exchange with Appinsight but I still don't know how to get started reporting on it.  Can anyone offer any advise to get started or point me towards documentation?

• Once AppInsight for Exchange is monitoring your Exchange servers, the default out-of-the-box application availability reports should provide the information you are looking for.

• I found the report "Application Availability - Last Month" which reports all software including exchange and is over 100 pages long.  It's an advanced SQL report for Report Writer.  Is there an easy way to edit this report to show only Exchange?  Or is there a web-based report that I can use for Exchange availability?

• The SQL for "Application Availability - Last Month" is

DECLARE @utcOffset int

DECLARE @actualMonths int

SET @utcOffset = datediff(minute, getdate(), getutcdate())

SET @actualMonths = datediff(month, 0, getdate())

SELECT

max(ast.[TimeStamp]) as [Month],

n.Caption,

a.Name AS ApplicationName,

sum(ast.PercentAvailability * ast.RecordCount) / sum(ast.RecordCount) AS PercentAvailability

FROM APM_ApplicationStatus ast with(nolock)

INNER JOIN APM_Application a with(nolock) ON a.ID = ast.ApplicationID

INNER JOIN Nodes n with(nolock) ON n.NodeID = a.NodeID

WHERE ast.[TimeStamp] >= dateadd(minute, @utcOffset, dateadd(month, @actualMonths - 1, 0)) AND

ast.[TimeStamp] < dateadd(minute, @utcOffset, dateadd(month, @actualMonths, 0))

GROUP BY a.ID, a.Name, n.Caption

ORDER BY n.Caption, a.Name

Am I going down the right track if I change "a.Name AS ApplicationName" to the name for Exchange in the Solarwinds database?  I've not done anything with SQL since college several years ago so I'm pretty rusty but could pick it up fairly quickly.  I just don't want to waste time going in the wrong direction.

• I think alterego was saying if you have SAM AppInsightForExchange does everything you'd ever want to know about exchange.

• We have SAM.  Please forgive my ignorance (I'm trying to get some training setup) but I need to be able to generate a report that shows the health of Exchange for the last month to turn in to management.  When I go to Applications then Exchange, I don't see a way to create a report.  When I go to Settings then Manage Reports, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options and can't figure out how to create an availability report for Exchange.  If there's a turnkey option here, I'm not seeing it.

• I think there are a few built in ones.  You can also assign a exchange application monitor that's built into SAM to some of your exchange servers so they can start collecting additional information besides availability, cpu, memory, etc.  You can search from the reports page type exchange and see some of the built in ones.  If you want to modify something make a copy then edit the copy is my advice.  The application monitors are prebuilt so you just need to assign the template for the exchange monitor to some of your exchange servers and let it collect some data.  Perhaps some people that do more with exchange monitoring can explain what works best for them.  I have a few of mine being monitored with SAM.

• When I search for Exchange in the reports, all I get is the following

• Mobile Devices
    • Users By Mailbox Quota
    • Users By Mailbox Size
    • Users By Messages Sent This Week

None of these are close to what I want to report on so I can't modify them to fit my need.

Am I trying to do something unusual?  It seems to me being able to report x% uptime for Exchange would be very common but I can't find any canned reports or any how-to's on the forum.  I'm getting frustrated with myself for not being able to figure this out but maybe it can't be done.

• The application monitors are under Admin -> Settings -> SAM Settings  Then in Manage Application Monitor Templates you'll find all of the exchange templates you can apply to your exchange nodes.  Depending on the version and what you want apply some of these to your exchange nodes and let them collect some data.  Now you'll be able to all kinds of statistics on everything under the sun about Exchange.  You should then be able to create reports on some the data that's interesting to you.

• You can use the Legacy Win32 based Report Writer to edit the Application Availability report and add the filter "Application Name contains Exchange.

Report Writer.png

This will produce a report similar to the following

Exchange Availability.png