This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

A way to monitor TCP port for a certain node

Hi!

I'm looing for a simple way to define a monitor on a TCP port, to discover connection of  other node.

Something like Netstat command, but without the need to use SAM applic....

Can it be?

• Yes or no, depending. http://tinyurl.com./e6m6

there is some key information missing here -- like the port numbers, do you mean 'listening for a connection' or 'a connection is established'

let me point you at this to give you some ideas: How to Detect and Clear Hung TCP Connections using SNMP - Cisco

shows the mib variables available and what you might be able to do using a UnDP

• Thanks for the reply!

Maybe I'll be more detailed...

I need to verify whether a node (IP address) with certain port is connected to other node or not.

Usually, running NETSTAT regularly, on the listener node, will do the job. But I want to monitor it, frequently (lets say, once a minute) by Solarwinds.

Not depending on a switch in the way...

• I would get the TCPConState table

do a gettable on  tcpConnState.<localIP>.<localport>.<remote-host-ip> and then check for an established connection

e.g. on the switch with IP address a.b.c.d  there is an established connection to ssh (port 22) from the host w.x.y.z from a random high port (38643)  

TCP-MIB::tcpConnState.a.b.c.d.22.w.x.y.z.38643 = INTEGER: established(5)

so, if I get the table TCP-MIB::tcpConnState.a.b.c.d.22.w.x.y.z

I would then look (possibly using some SQL) for a row that is established.

Note: Would not really recommend this other than for very specific connections, and it's not that easy (otherwise Solarwinds would not sell SAM for this purpose)