3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2019 11:31 AM by rfackrell

Node Rediscovery to Reset Monitored Interfaces

diggy123

Here is the scenario:

We have a brand new NPM install.

This is targeted at Cisco hardware as we are a Cisco shop

We have a handful of Network Admins that can add nodes to NPM

I've stressed to these individuals about the importance of "elements" and not to just blindly add an user edge switch with all ports being collected, but instead only monitor health and the uplink ports or any ports connected to an important resource

I've realized that you can't depend on those people to actually understand or even listen to what you say

The time it takes to manually inspect every node to clean up those admins that just blindly add a device is extremely time consuming and not practical

This question is based on trying to clean up 300+ nodes were every active interface was added which pushed the monitored elements to over 8000, when it should be no more then 3000.

Knowing that ports will be enabled and devices added improperly regardless of how much you try and educate those who are entrusted to properly do their job

...i have the following question/inquiry into whether this is something that Solarwinds NPM is capable of...

Can you have a scheduled rediscovery of a everything classified as "Cisco" that will add or delete an interface from being polled element by something as simple as a keyword in the description field?

What I am thinking is any interface does not have "NPM ON" as part of the description, that interface is automatically removed from NPM monitoring/polling.

This would allow an easy monthly/quarterly/yearly cleanup of devices added where the Network Admin was derelict, or to clean up any interfaces manually set to be monitored as part of troubleshooting, but were forgotten to be removed after the troubleshooting

Basically I want to be able to rediscover a device and recover wasted element resources because someone improperly added the device.  I'm just concentrating on interfaces, as that is the biggest waste of elements.  There is really no reason to waste elements by polling user access ports on a 48 port edge switch.  You only care about the uplink(s) and the health.

So in summary, is it possible to have a custom rediscovery of a node that will delete a discovered interface from monitoring/polling if that node does not contain a certain value in the interface description field?  

• Re: Node Rediscovery to Reset Monitored Interfaces
          rfackrell

Gonna try to bump this.
          See if in the past 3 years someone has figured this out. Especially this line...
          "Can you have a scheduled rediscovery of a everything classified as "Cisco" that will add or delete an interface from being polled element by something as simple as a keyword in the description field?

What I am thinking is any interface does not have "NPM ON" as part of the description, that interface is automatically removed from NPM monitoring/polling."