7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 6:42 AM by shawn_b

Hardware Requirements

carlo1ziel

Hi Anyone, asking for your help on the specification of our hardware requirements.

1.       What type of Server on SolarWinds (Rack or Tower)?

2.       Server model?

3.       what type, kind or brand of memory ?

4.       Hardrive Model?

Below are the Hardware Requirements that we are going to use to finalize and build our Solarwinds monitoring.

Hardware Requirements

-          SolarWinds Latin America recommended to have 4 physical severs.

SolarWinds Physical Servers:

i.                    Orion Application Server

ii.                  SQL Database Server

iii.                NTA Flow Storage

iv.                 Additional Polling Engine Server

Orion Application Server: 1.       Quad Core processor 3 GHz or better 2.       32 GB RAM 3.       150 GB high speed storage (for example, 15,000 RPMs) 4.       1 x 1 GB dedicated NIC 5.       Windows Server 2012 R2, 2012, or 2008 R2 The Orion installer installs IIS (32-bit mode) and .NET 3.5 and 4.0 if they are not already on your server.

SQL Database Server: 1.       Dual Quad Core processor 3 GHz or better 2.       64 GB RAM 3.       Hardware RAID Controller (software RAID not supported) 4.       Disk Subsystem 1 Array 1: 2 x 146 GB 15,000 disks RAID 1 (mirroring) operating system 5.       Disk Subsystem 2 Array 2: 2 x 146 GB 15,000 disks RAID 1 (Pagefile + extra storage) 6.       Disk Subsystem 3 Array 3: with 6x 15,000 146 GB or 300 GB disks configured in a RAID 1+0 arrays to allow for maximum write performance. This is for your SQL MDF AND FILEGROUPS 7.       Disk Subsystem 4 Array 4: with 4x 15,000 146 GB or 300 GB disks configured in a RAID 1+0 arrays to allow for maximum write performance. This is for your SQL LDF Transaction LOG file 8.       1 GB LAN port 9.       Windows Server 2012 R2, 2012, or 2008 R2 Microsoft SQL Server 2014, 2012, or 2008 R2 Standard Edition

NTA Flow Storage Database: Physical server or virtual machine 1.       Quad Core processor 3 GHz or better 2.       16 GB3 RAM 3.       100 GB - 1 TB4 of storage capacity on local NTFS disk 4.       1 x 1 GB dedicated NIC Windows Server 2012 R2, 2012, or 2008 R2

Additional Polling Engine Server: Virtual machine recommended 1.       Quad Core processor 3 GHz or better 2.       32 GB RAM 3.       150 GB high speed storage (for example, 15,000 RPMs) 4.       1 x 1 GB dedicated NIC 5.       Windows Server 2012 R2, 2012, or 2008 R2 The Orion installer installs IIS (32-bit mode) and .NET 3.5 and 4.0 if they are not already on your server.

• Re: Hardware Requirements
          amarnath_r

It depends on the modules which you are planning to install and how many nodes/servers you are trying to monitor. One polling engine can support up to 12,000 elements.

Share the list of modules and the license you are planning to purchase to have a better approach.

In one of my installation i had a setup as below all are Virtual machines.

Orion application Server1: NPM, NTA App, NCM, SA2

Orion application Server1: SRM, UDT,

Orion Server 3:NTA FSDB and NTM (NTA FSDB should be in a separate physical  server(Solarwinds highly Recommends Physical server))

LEM:Appliance

VM:appliance

brandon.blaze

I'm not sure exactly what the question is you're trying to have answered.  It seems that you have the recommended system requirements already listed, so if it's a matter of what brand to buy, that's not really a question that many people can answer as it really depends on your current environment, your budget, and what hardware is easily accessible to you (as it appears you are in Latin America, I don't know what products are available to you).  I think adding the NTA server on the same server with NPM would be recommended.  You're not going to get any additional performance increases and it could cause you some issues getting everything to integrate seamlessly (if at all).

In most cases, it's preferable to run a VM instance of SolarWinds (and really any server) from a host server.  These generally tend to be either a rack mounted server or chassis.  If you're just looking for some quick and dirty model numbers here's the best I can do for you:

Hardware:

• Dell PowerEdge 630 Host Server running VMWare ESXi 5.5 (rack mounted server)
            • Windows 2012 R2 or Windows 2008 R2 depending on what you prefer
            • Memory Manufacturer doesn't really matter and is dependent upon what you're easily able to source
            • Again, hard drive manufacturer doesn't matter much either, but I'd go with a SAS style drive - it's more expensive but the performance is much better - especially in a database perspective as the seek time is faster than standard SATA hard drives.

I hope that helps!

-Brandon

RichardLetts

my 2cents... if I were to rebuild our SQL server I would do it like this:

c:\ mirrored SSD [+dbtemp]

d:\ mirrored SSD [DBdata]

e:\ mirrored SSD [DBlog]

f:\ mirrored 4TB SATA [DBbackup]

SSD enterprise drives have come down in price enough for me to think that going for large numbers of spinning spindles doesn't buy throughput as much has having near-zero seek times.

seriously... Kingston SKC300S37A/480G  has a write-rating of ~1700TB

6 15k SAS drivesin a raid10 would only give you ~600IOPS -- the disk I list above will give  47K read / 22k write IOPS

The SQLserver hardware requirements have not kept up with what it's sensible to buy

carlo1ziel

Thank you guys, Appreciate your response to my query. I will also coordinate with other vendors to come up with a good and best hardware model and product.

brandon.blaze

If I may make another quick suggestion - If you already have a standardized server hardware infrastructure in place (for instance if you're using only IBM/Lenovo/Dell/HP rack mount servers) just stick with that same vendor.  It makes for easier parts gathering or swapping in the event of a failure that needs quick resolution - you'll already have spare parts in stock.  Solarwinds doesn't much care what hardware vendor it runs on as long as the minimum requirements are met.  And ESXi will run on nearly any host.

Best of luck on your Solarwinds journey to becoming a monitoring and reporting wizard.

Thwack will be here when you need us for some help!

-Brandon

Malik Haider

Plan for a production installation

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/en/flarehelp/NPM/QS/content/onboarding/install/core-qs-plan-for-the-installation.htm

Hardware Recommendations for Orion Servers
                    > NPM SLX /NCM DLX /IPSLA 25 Server
                    CPU                       Quad Core Processor 3GHz or better
                    HD Space             20 GB
                    Memory              8GB

http://ark.intel.com/products/52276/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1270-8M-Cache-3_40-GHz

> NPM SLX /NCM DLX Server
                    Memory              8GB

> NPM SLX Server
                    Memory              8GB

> Each Additional Polling Engine Server
                    Memory              8GB

Hardware Recommendations for SQL Servers
                    >SQL DB for NPM SLX /NCM DLX /IPSLA 25 Server/10 x APE
                    Memory              8-12GB
                    Mirrored drives for OS and 6 disks Raid 1+0 for database data files

>SQL DB for NPM SLX /NCM DLX Server/10 x APE

>SQL DB for NPM SLX Server/10 x APE

**SQL Server Hardware Recommendation**

3 GHz, dual core processor or better. This will work for all size licenses. Do not use
                    less than a 2 GHz processor for any Orion SQL server.

Best Practice use RAID 10
                    2 x Raid 1 disk (Mirroring) For operating system
                    2 x Raid 1 disk   (Mirroring) Place pagefile here and also can be used for applications and ad hoc Stuff
                    4 x RAID 1 +0 Stripping and mirroring for database files (2 partitions 1 for Data File and 1 for Log File)

WINDOWS 2012, SQL 2012, SQL 2014 AND SOLARWINDS PRODUCTS

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/solarwinds-community/product-blog/blog/2013/12/11/windows-2012-and-sql-2012-and-solarwinds-products

Server 3: NTA Flow Storage Database Server

Software Installed

• NTA Flow storage Service (Part of NTA)

Recommended Deployment specs (Physical or Virtual Machine)

• Quad core 3GHz processor or better
                    • 32 GB of RAM. To ensure optimal performance, RAM should be increased as the database size increases
                    • 500 GB of storage capacity on a 15k rpm SAS local NTFS disk
                    • 100 GB for every sustained 1000 Flows/s with 30-days retention period
                    • 64-bit Windows Server 2012, or 2008 Server.

Important Notes:

• Itanium-based servers are not supported.
                    • You can install the NTA Flow Storage:
                      • on a Polling Engine Server (Primary or Additional)
                      • on a remote machine
                      • on a VM with in your environment.
                    • For optimal performance, we strongly recommend a dedicated machine for the NTA Flow Storage database
                    • For further information on the Flow Storage Database Server, see this links.
                      shawn_b

I have mine built and installed 3 years now on a WIndows 2008 VM

works pretty good and has been upgraded through several product versions since first build.

I would advice that you look at the NTA requirements mentioned above.

I am running a 32 bit server and now need to build a 64 bit server to support the latest NTA functionality