This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Customer accounts getting access to see nodes shared with other customers.

Hello.

I am stuck on a problem, and i'm relatively new to SolarWinds.

We have a large amount of nodes in our SolarWinds installation. There are several customers who only have access to see the nodes they need to see.

The way we have solved this, is that we have added a custom field called CustomerID, and set user account limitations to only see nodes which has this custom field equal to their customer number.

We have some nodes that more than one customer wants to see(i.e a shared firewall or similar), and we cant add a new limitation since multiple account limitations will use AND instead of OR between them. This can't be changed(to my knowledge).

Example:

Node A has customer ID=1

Node B has customer ID=2

Customer 1 can then see Node A but not B, and vice versa

They both want to see a shared firewall Node C, since they share this.

How can i solve it so that one user can see multiple nodes based on diffrent criteria? Or is there a better way to solve it?

All tips are greatly appreciated.

• Have you tried adding a second account limitation based on something like a "Contact Pattern" and then using a unique Contact ID for each device that's shared between both users/groups?  I haven't tried doing it so I can't confirm it, but adding more than 1 limitation may accomplish what you're looking for.

• Hey Brandon.

Yes, i tried adding a second account limitation, but that resulted in the customer only seeing nodes that matched both limitations. They could no longer see nodes that only matched one of the account limitations..

• Try the account limitation, We have a wide range of limitation such as node name, IP Address, groups etc.. I have the same setup what you are trying to achieve and it works perfect.

• Did you have to change any settings for it to work? As mentioned i encountered an issue with customers only seeing nodes that matched both account limitations, and not all the nodes matching only the first (in my case customerID) and in addition the nodes matching the second account limitiation.

Hope this was understandable.