2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 11:38 AM by bsyeven

DPA Notification Policy

bsyeven

Can someone please explain the difference between the different Notification Policy options for alerts in Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer?  I see "Notify when level is not normal", "Notify when level changes and is not normal" and "Notify when level not visited since normal" and I can't find any definitions in the documentation or anywhere else online.

Thanks

• Re: DPA Notification Policy
          mandevil

Alert Levels and Notifications

Notification Policy

The notification policy can be rather confusing to understand, but is set up this way so that a user can choose for a contact not to be bothered every 10 minutes by alert emails for known issues. The available notification policies are as follows:

• Notify when level is not normal - notify contacts every single time an alert is evaluated as not normal
          • Notify when level changes and is not normal - notify contacts when an alert changes status level (from normal to low, from low to high, from high to medium, etc.) AND is not normal
          • Notify when level not visited since normal - notify contacts when an alert changes status level (as explained in the example above), but also has NOT been at the current status level since the last time the alert evaluated as normal. For example:
            Alert goes through the following status levels in this order: 1) Normal,  2) Low,  3) Medium,  4) Low, 5) High. Contacts are notified at points 2, 3, and 5. They are not notified at point 4, because that level has already been seen since the last time the alert evaluated as normal.
          3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • Re: DPA Notification Policy
              bsyeven

Thanks for the explanation mandevil, but this doesn't seem to be working as expected for the "Oracle Long Running Transaction" alert.  I have it set to "Use Repository Default (Currently 'Notify when level not visited since normal')", but I'm still getting notifications every 15 minutes.  Any idea how to fix this?