This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Update - Sorting interfaces by percentage utilization

We have Gigabit ports on all of our switches - except uplinks which are either 10 Gig or 40 Gig.

We have a need to watch all the ports at some of our sites for utilization. I've created a report and told it to sort by utilization percentage (I've tried receive, transmit and combined). The problem is that with a Gigabit interface and typical desktop usage all of the interfaces stay at 0% or very near so a sort doesn't truly sort by utilization. Is there a way to get this to sort by the bytes, rather than percentage?

I went a different approach and got much closer to what I need.

Instead of "Traffic & Percentage Utilization of Each Interface" I chose "Top XX Interfaces by Traffic" On the individual page I then added a filter for IP_Address='xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' and I get the results by the top xx (I chose 10) interfaces on the selected switch. The only problem with this approach is that I would need to create an individual page for each switch. Does anyone know how I could modify the filter to look at which switch the page is referencing and build the list from there. In other words, when I'm looking at switch A it gives me the top 10 interfaces by traffic on switch A, but when I drill down into switch B it then gives me the top 10 interfaces by traffic on switch B.

• There are utilization reports that go by either average or min/max/avg bits transferred.  You can parse it down by switch or site in the report configuration if you so choose.

Under new reports, it would be an "interface chart."  I usually just do a search for the word "max" and you'll see the min/max/average bits per second report.  Then you can customize from there.  I use that same report for all of my uplinks from multiple sites to get more visibility into the amount of traffic going from site to site.

Hope that helps.

-Brandon

• I mis-spoke using the term report. I actually built a live page using "Traffic & Percentage Utilization of each Interface - Node Detail Reports"

What we are running into are remote sites with very high utilization of their bandwidth and I need to track it back to which device, on which port of the switch is causing all the traffic. (Yes, there's likely something very obvious that I'm looking right at and don't see - A did you plug it in type of thing. But I figure it's better to ask the question and get egg on my face than to keep wondering around)

• If that's the case, unfortunately I'm not familiar with anything like that.  We utilize the SolarWinds NTA at my workplace, so we can drill down a little more and have a "live" feed of conversations based on endpoints using Netflow.  So I'm able to see that type of data (sometimes only layer 3 and then having to work my way backwards) but for NPM, I'm not sure of any live "reporting."

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

• Based on what you mentioned, NetFlow Traffic Analyzer and possibly User Device Tracker can both be used to obtain this information.

Network Performance Monitor will report the interface bandwidth, but you want to see what traffic within the bandwidth is all of the information coming/going, this is where NetFlow would fit in to report Source/Destination IP/Hostnames, Ports, packets and bytes per port conversation.

Combine NetFlow with User Device Tracker and you will get a correlated view of where the system is located down to switch port. it can also report the user account logged in recently with AD contact details and AD group assignments.