This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

testing version 9

I want to test version 9 prior to upgrading my production system.

I am thinking of doing the following, and want to make sure my thinking is correct:

• set up a testing system running the same OS and database
  • install a trial version of version 8.5 on the test system
  • export my database and monitors from my production system
  • restore both to my test system
  • verify the monitors and alerts are working
  • do the upgrade on the test system

Does this sound right?  Will I cause any issues with my production environment doing this?  I will change who receives alerts in the test environment so only I get alerted, of course.

Thanks in advance.

Bo

• Hello Bo.

We already have a thread that's currently underway about testing v9 while maintaining your v8.5 production install. You're pretty close, but your steps will not move "dbtmp" and "dbstore" (where your monitoring statistics are stored).

If your plans are to promote the test server to production, I strongly suggest you participate within the following thread:

If you're going to toss the test installation and upgrade the production server, I think your steps are good. However, I recommend using the backup feature & restore program. Import / Export doesn't nab every last setting like the backup/restore feature does.