This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ipMonitor 9 & Windows 2008

Has anyone been able to install ipMonitor 9 on Windows 2008 server.  I just installed the eval I downloaded from the web site and the service won't start.

Thanks.

•  I don't believe that is supported. Currently only Windows Vista (IPv4 mode only), Windows XP SP2 or later, Windows Server 2003 SP1 & R2.

www.solarwinds.com/.../ipMonitor_v9_Datasheet.pdf

• That's correct.   We're planning on adding support for Windows 2008 in a future release.  To help us prioritize, we'd be interested to know our customers' deployment timeframes for Windows 2008.   Are you just kicking the tires right now?  Or is it a 2009 project?  

• We have been using ipMonitor for 3 years now.  It's time for us to retire our old apps and servers and upgrade.  We are deploying all of our new servers based on Windows 2008.  We will deploy ipMonitor as soon as it's available for Windows 2008.  When do you expect your next release?

• We hope to have a 2H08 release, but our current thinking was to only support monitoring Windows 2008 servers not running on them.   

Are there others out there that require the ability to host ipMonitor on Windows 2008 servers?   If so, please post to help us prioritize.  

• We are already deploying Windows Server 2008 and will be more aggresive in the next 3 months. I would expect these tools to both monitor and be hosted on Windows Server 2008. My experience to date is that any product that runs on Windows Server 2003 will most likely run on Windows Server 2008, it may take a bit more work as the product is significantly more compartmentalized and secure.

Larry

• today i tried to install ipmonitor9 on a new windows2008 server

(our old server is eos next month)

I found out (after mailing with support) that windows 2008 is not yet supported.

Just fyi: officially we are not allowed to install windows 2003 on this new server (the OS is licensed from microsoft in the SPLA program)

looks like we have to install windows 2003 on the server.....

•  I would definitely like to see Windows 2008 support as I'm in the process of migrating servers wherever it makes sense.

• I have installed the trial on my windows XP desktop, and have found it is monitoring all our Windows Server 2008 computers very well. We are running all windows 2008 servers, with the exception of our Anti-virus management computer which is server 2003.  I am not sure if i would want to install this on the server, as I see more functionality of having the program on my personal desktop and just monitoring all the servers from here.  Having the ability to install on the servers is not so important in this aspect.  As long as the servers are monitored, why does it matter what computer the program is installed on, i have full functionality installed on my desktop. 
  • We are likewise solely using Windows Server 2008. It's great that you can monitor the server, however, being able to run the software from a central server is very important.  Desktops turn off frequently enough to not be viable as a monitor station.

Is there an ETA for a release?