This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ipMonitor 9 Dependencies

Does ipMonitor 9 understand implicit dependencies? For example, Device #1 has Monitors A and B and Monitor A is a dependency of the device. Device #2 has Monitor C and Monitor B is a dependency the device. If monitor A goes down no alert will be triggered for Monitor B but will an alert be triggered for Monitor C?

Thanks,

Kendal Van ***

•  You can group multiple & individual monitors into assigned dependencies. These configured groups act as an alert supression system. There is also a temporary container for monitors without parent objects called Orphaned Objects Groups.

• I probably didn't word it clearly enough. Here's a better example: I have an ipMonitor9 install in Calgary monitoring servers in Toronto. I have a device for the firewall in Toronto with a ping monitor on the public IP address as the device dependency. Since I use a VPN tunnel to talk to Toronto I need to make sure it's up so I put a ping monitor on the firewall's internal IP and make that monitor a member of the firewall device.

I need to monitor a server in Calgary so I create a device for it and have its ping monitor as the device dependency. Since the ability to ping the device depends on the VPN tunnel being up I add the VPN tunnel ping as a dependency too.

Now if my firewall goes down then the ping monitor for the server and the VPN tunnel will also go down. I know I won't get an alert for the VPN tunnel since it has the dependency on the firewall ping. Will I get an alert for the server ping or does ipMonitor inherit\cascade\nest dependencies implicitly? Put another way, to suppress the server ping alerts when the ping on the external firewall IP goes down do I need to explicitly add the firewall ping as a dependency on the server device?

Thanks,

Kendal Van ***

•  Put another way, to suppress the server ping alerts when the ping on the external firewall IP goes down do I need to explicitly add the firewall ping as a dependency on the server device?

To suppress alerting under these conditions you would need to add the firewall ping as a dependency. 

• If this does not give you the desired results, you can always use the External Process Monitor.   We have a script that will PING multiple IPs and fail only when all the IPs are not responding.  This script is may come in handy if you want to ensure that 2 or more devices are not reachable before failing the Monitor (e.g. dual T1 links to Internet).   If you contact support, they can hook you up.