cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Trouble Installing ipMonitor

Jump to solution

I am attempting to test the free trial of ipMonitor. I get an error when installing.

Error 1920.Service SolarWinds Discovery Service (SolarWinds Discovery Service) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I assume this has something to do with a service running on this box already as opposed to permissions, given that I am using an admin user to install it. Can someone tell me what services would be shared with ipMonitor? I do have kiwi syslog server running on this box and a trial of splunk.

Thanks,

Garrett

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: Trouble Installing ipMonitor

Jump to solution

Did you validate that KB2999226 is installed?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Jump to solution

packerprogrammer​ can you clarify the OS version for us and ensure the system is running latest updates?  Also, is there anything glaring in the Windows System Event Log?  KB2999226 win update must also be installed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

The OS is Windows Server 2012 R2. I do know that the machine is not running the latest updates. I will bring it up to date and report back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I have the server up to date now. I tried running the installer again and got the same error.

Garrett

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Is it the account you are using on the service?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I am running the installer as admin and get the error message during the installation. I assume the installer is trying to start the service as the same user. I did not provide credentials otherwise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Jump to solution

Did you validate that KB2999226 is installed?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

KB2999226 is not installed. I downloaded and attempted to install. I get an error that it's not applicable to my computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Jump to solution

I have emailed you directly the KB which should work for 2012R2.  We have used it several times in Dev environment. 

or try to download from here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

For 2012R2:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49063

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

That is the same msu i downloaded. I tried again same result. Here are more details about my server. I may need to spin up another server, i was just hoping to use the same one my kiwi syslog is on.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

6.3.9600 Build 9600

0 Kudos