This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP Trap monitoring

I've already asked this question in a support request to Solarwinds for v.8.5, but now with 9.0 being out hopefully things have changed and maybe there is a solution/workaround.

We need ipMonitor to listen to SNMP traps sent by SonicWall firewall/router. ipMonitor receives the trap (according to snmptrap.log, but records it as "Invalid SNMP Trap Received". As Solarwinds support suggested, the reason is that SonicWall sends its traps in SNMPv2, which is not supported by SNMP Trap monitor. Is there any workaround for that except for installing a syslog server somewhere on the network and having ipMonitor look at its log file? We really want to get rid of all heterogeneous monitoring tools/utilities and switch everything to ipMonitor (and this is one of the reasons we purchased ipMonitor recently). In case Solarwinds has plans to have a patch/fix/upgrade for SNMP Trap Monitor, could a timeline be announced please?

Thank you!

• Hello Stephane & BTSpaul,

n case Solarwinds has plans to have a patch/fix/upgrade for SNMP Trap Monitor, could a timeline be announced please?

I've added your post (and your end user story) to our internal defect and feature tracking database. Our Product Manager, Chris, will be back to work from Barcelona on Monday, I'll make sure the subject comes up when next we meet.

• Thank you, Peter! Please post if there is any timeline available. We are still in the deployment stage for ipMonitor (i.e. we didn't finalize our configuration yet) and firewall/router monitoring is very important to us. It would be nice to know if we have to temporarily deploy a syslog server or wait for a fix.

Most vendor-specific tools have email alerting built-in. I wish ipMonitor had an email address for receiving third-party email alerts for further email/sms alerting.

• It would be nice to know if we have to temporarily deploy a syslog server or wait for a fix.

If that's the case, I'll ask Chris to message with you directly (to set expectations and help you figure out if you need to go with that syslog server).

Most vendor-specific tools have email alerting built-in. I wish ipMonitor had an email address for receiving third-party email alerts for further email/sms alerting.

I love it. I have a few quick and dirty projects that send emails directly to me when they experience certain kinds of faults (recoverable or not). it'd be nice to clean up my mailbox and remove my email address from them. Your request is #2113 (within the ipMonitor project) and I've got a note in there to consider you for assistance with testing.

• Any news on this? I'd like to get our Veritas NetBackup Operations Manager traps into ipMonitor, but it only supports SNMP v2c.

Yours,

Mark

• I'm also waiting on this.  I was told by support that this would be out months ago.  We really need SNMP 2 support.  Please add it in!

--Aaron

• Hi Aaron--

I'll mark this for the PM to review.

M

• Hi all - this message just showed up in my inbox for some reason. I'm sure you all know by now, but that support is in V10. 

--Christine