This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Restart Service for 8.5

I was wondering If there is an ability to restart a service even if the monitor you check for isn't a service...

For example, if you have a HTML/ASP monitor and if it macthes a specific search string I'd like it to restart a service.

Is this possible?

• Hello eskador,

Absolutely. Edit the appropriate Monitor. Put in the name of the windows machine and the list of services you want restarted. Next, create an alert and (for this moniitor) and add a restart service custom action!

• hmmm, thats what I have and it hasn't been working.

What should the Alert Range on the Alert be set to? It is currently set to "2,4".

• Have you tried supplying an appropriate credential that will work on the server? In the alert action, use the select credential button then click "new credential" and follow the Wizard. Don't forget to test the alert action.

• It has a appropriate credential for restarting the service. i.e. it is the same credential that can be used for the manual restart.

Interesting note: when trying a manual restart of W3SVC everything works OK (I get the error about unable to determine dependancies) and it seems to restart. But when I try and restart IISADMIN I get this error "At least one of the following Services on "WWW4" have failed to restart. Reason: A service failed to restart. Revisit the list of services to view the current status of the services. "

It is IISADMIN that my Alert is trying to restart.

• Please ensure this account has the ability to do WMI with the remote box with WBEMTEST, next try adding the following services to your list.

• "IIS Admin Service" (the one you want)
    • "World Wide Publishing Service"
    • "HTTP SSL"

I got this info from IISADMIN's dependency list.

• Sorry, I couldnt figure out WBEMTEST, but I was able to go thru computer management remotely with the same account credentials and was able to both view the dependancies and restart the services.
    I get the same error even using the domain admin account for the credentials.

As for adding multiple services to the list, I get this error now "At least one of the following Services on "WWW4" have failed to restart. Reason: Not all the services that stopped managed to be restarted. "

Looking thru the system event viewer for that computer shows that all sevices but IISADMIN were sent a stop and start control

• So what's the deal with this? Can IpMonitor 8.5 build 1163, not handle dependant services?

• OK, I can connect with WBEMTEST, why specifically would you like the result of?

• Hello eskador,

ipMonitor is attempting to restart IISADMIN before HTTPFilter. It's attempting to respect dependencies, but the behavior is slightly off.

How about using iisreset.exe via a third-party-exe Alert Action ? That's guaranteed to work for all versions of ipMonitor!

• So, I'm going to acknowledge a bug within ipMonitor's usage of dependency information and I've got an entry for it in our defect database.

Here's a workaround:

Use IISRESET ... or: 

1. Locate the Monitor that contains the list of services I mentioned earlier.
    2. Do a popup xml and cut and paste that text into notepad.
    3. Change the following list of service from:

<services>
          <service>HTTPFilter</service>
          <service>IISADMIN</service>
          <service>SMTPSVC</service>
          <service>W3SVC</service>
      </services>

to

<services>
          <service>IISADMIN</service>
          <service>HTTPFilter</service>
          <service>SMTPSVC</service>
          <service>W3SVC</service>
      </services>

4. Within the ipMonitor UI, head to "Configuration Tab > System Settings > Import Settings > Data Source = Cut and Paste XML
    5. Paste in the revised monitor text and click Import.
    6. You can save and edit the original Monitor, without this effort being undone. Just don't have anybody modify the list of services.