This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Questions about discovery

1) What’s the RPC discovery all about? I have a server that is not SNMP enabled and I don’t have a login account for, and yet I can get Drive details?

2) Can I use RPC to get other stuff such as CPU and Memory? 3) is there any way to change (as in extend) the timeouts for SNMP and WMI discovery?
  • 1) What’s the RPC discovery all about? I have a server that is not SNMP enabled and I don’t have a login account for, and yet I can get Drive details?

2) Can I use RPC to get other stuff such as CPU and Memory?  

RPC is only used for Drivespace and Windows Service monitoring and is basically a method where ipMonitor uses a windows specific method to connect to and query a remote machine.  If the Windows account that the ipMonitor service is running under has sufficient privileges to browse the remote machines drive shares then you will see results with a discovery. Sometimes permissions may provide the ability to see the shares but not provide the access needed to query the drive details so if the monitor fails once created you may need to provide a credential within the monitor. 

3) is there any way to change (as in extend) the timeouts for SNMP and WMI discovery?

Unfortunately the timeouts are not configurable at this time but it is something we may be able to provide in a future release so I will make sure it is added to our feature requests for you. If timeouts through the discovery are too short you can try adding the monitor via the "add new monitor" and you may have better success as the timeouts are different.