This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Processor utilisation dial

One of our servers has 4 CPUs which is show by 8 dials plus a total utilisation.

My question is processor 8 consistently runs at around 40% and all the other are around 0 - 5% but the total utilisation only shows 5.47%.

What maths is the total doing to arrive at this figure?

Unless you run 100% multithreading applications then the total processor utilisation is a bit of a red herring, if you base alerts round it.

• not sure this correct, but from your figures, I would say the total is an average of all 8.

• The Total processor is based on the samples retrieved from system CPU counters.  The problem is that monitor polling occurs at different intervals, as well processor usage varies quickly.  ipMonitor does sample the values over a short period of time, but the values for Total will be different due to monitors firing independently.  Setting Alerts to specific CPU monitors, rather then Total, in a multi threaded environment and  distributing threads to specific CPU's, is a good idea.  Have you had a chance to talk to any of the ipMonitor Support Team members?

• Thanks for the info, I haven't toalk to support yet but just looked this morning and processor 8 is running at 85% while all the other 7 processors are running between 0 and 5% which is crazy.

Do you know how I can move specific threads to specific processors to try and even the load up, it porbably doesn't help that Cirrus, Orion and SQL are on the same box.

Thanks

Jon

• Hi Jon.

Do you know how I can move specific threads to specific processors to try and even the load up, it porbably doesn't help that Cirrus, Orion and SQL are on the same box.

I did a quick search for you. It's a bit odd that all that everything is running on one core. I may be a little rusty, but my understanding is that a process (and all its threads) will live on one processor at a time.

I haven't permission to deep link so I'm dropping a link to a particular site through google which may help you out here. Confine the cpu hungry process to a processor of your choice by manipulating the processor affinity. I also looked, and there's utilities and scripts out there to do this automatically. I can't vouch for any (never used one before).

Automatically set Processor Affinity in Windows XP Professional