This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Problem with Service Account

When I attempt to set the Service settings for ipMonitor9, I receive the following warning:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The user account for the ipMonitor service may not have sufficient Access Rights to the following:
-ipMonitor 9.0 Credentials Database's Encryption Keys
-"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My" registry key
-Access to the private/public key pair used by the SSL certificate

Would you like to add these rights for user account [%useraccount%]?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hit Yes and it tells me "Failed to set security permissions for the user account".

Here's a little background.  I'm running Windows 2003 SP2 on VMWare 1.0.4, attached to a domain, and I'm trying to set the service account as a domain account, that is set as an Administrator on the virtual machine.  I've checked permissions on the programs directory and on the registry hive, and my user has permission in those locations. 

What can I do to get this working?  Until this works, the Security Credentials section is broken entirely. 

• Hi leesonr,

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is that the ipMonitor encryption key container wasn't made, and the config program was killed or canceled before the job was done. We can eliminate this via the following steps (v9 instructions):

1. Open the command prompt
    2. Navigate to the ipmonitor installation directory (defaults to "c:\program files\solarwinds\ipmonitor")
    3. Run this command line: net stop ipmonitorsrv 
    4. Run this command line: del config/cred/credentials.db
    5. Run this command line: ipm9config -firstrun
    6. Run this command line: net start ipmonitorsrv

ipMonitor should work on win2003 sp2 on VMWare. If this fails to work, open a ticket with our support staff and let them know this step was done.

• Well, that worked and now I create credentials.  I am now encountering a new problem, with using the Event Log monitor type.

From the virtual machine, I am attempting to connect back to other machines where the connecting account is an administrator, one is a 2003 server, the other an XP SP2 workstation.  I receive the following:

2008-02-13 09:12:32 monitor test failed | critical(true) error(Access is denied; oserror: 0x80070005) name(%Machine_Name% Event Monitor) type(eventlog) id(288965720256)
    2008-02-13 09:13:02 monitor test failed | critical(true) error(Access is denied; oserror: 0x80070005) name(%Machine_Name% Event Monitor) type(eventlog) id(288965720256)

I have tried the standard troubleshooting:

-Verified firewall was open (tested off and condition remained)
    -Made sure DCOM was enabled with standard launch and access permissions
    -Followed MS KB's on the error message, so Bypass Traversing Checks is enabled for the account and %windir%\registration perms are right

-Ran WMIdiag, and fixed any issues on the report, really there was nothing there I saw to hinder the connection.
    -Tested it to the local machine and it worked

Any idea on what I can do or what I may have missed, I'd like this monitor to work on remote machines?  I'll keep looking in the meantime.