This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Ping latency

ipMonitor 8.5

I want to trigger an alert when the latency exceeds a certain threshold.  Am I looking right over it?  The ping monitor only fails when it gets no response.

• Yes. To some degree this can be
    accomplished.   A “ping” monitor can be adjusted to fail at any time increment
    you choose.   This is done by making a combination of adjustments in the
    properties of the monitor itself.   In the “Timing” parameters, you will want to
    adjust the “Maximum Test Duration” from its default value of 300 seconds to
    something more aggressive say in the 10 - 30 seconds range.  Next you should
    look at the Notification control section and specifically at the value set for
    “Accumulated Failures per Alert”.   This value is set to “3” by default,
    however, if you wish hasten the alert notification process you will want to set
    this to a value of “1”.  This will cause the test to occur just once in the
    “Warn” state and then drop to a fail state.   Please note that ipMonitor is only
    able to trigger alerts from a “failed” state and can never do so from a “Warn”
    state.

I hope this is
    helpful.
  • Good point, wildblue.  I'm seeing the same issue in 9.0.1.  The dashboard's 'Top 10 Devices by Ping' shows each device's response time but you can't seem to set any thresholding or alarms on response time (or latency).  You could have a device that is returning 800ms ping responses but you wouldn't know it unless you were glancing at the dashboard.  It'll always be green so you have to be vigilant to spot the excessive times.

Rgds, Simon

• I think I'm just going to try to create a little script that returns an error code of the average is > 100ms or so and run it as external process

Unless someone already has something like that handy...