This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

New to ipMonitor... Device Discovery Issue.

I have used a competing product for years. Since changing companies I thought it would be good to evaluate what else is out there before making a purchase for this site.

Installed ipMonitor v9 (21 day trial version) and did a scan on a subnet of my network. It dfound everything I thought it should find, which is nice.

However, almost everything showed up as an UNKNOWN device type. And I don't see any way to change that?

Here is an example of what showed up as UNKNOWN:

1. Windows XP SP2 boxes (firewall disabled). And I did supply an administrator account as part of the windows credentials.

2. Windows 2003 Servers (firewall disabled). And I did supply an administrator account as part of the windows credentials.

3. Cisco 2950 Switches. And they are configured w/a read only SNMP community, which I provided. also, the switches did not appear with the expected port monitors either.

Did I do something wrong? Something different I need to try?

Jason

• Hello Jason,

For v9.0, the discovery portion picks up the device type via snmp only... so you've probably not done anything incorrect. In this instance, I would assume the snmp agent isn't on. As for the 2950, I'm not entirely sure why it would show up as unknown.

The good news is that you can edit the properties of a device and change the device type to what you want. From the device tab, drill down into a device until you're looking at its monitors, then click ... edit > properties. Next, toggle the "Property Refresh Policy" and change whatever you like!

• For the 2950, to troubleshoot, can you try going to the Devices tab and selecting Add > New Device and attempting to add it again?  It should give you the option to leverage previously discovered monitors or rescan.   Try rescanning to see if the interface monitors show up.  You can go back and enter other community strings to see if that makes any difference.  You might also see if there are any firewall settings that would prohibit SNMP requests from getting to your device.