This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor Exchange in differnt domain

I am trying to get Exchange Monitoring setup.  I have no problems reading the drive space, services, etc but that is using SNMP.  With Exhange it needs to use WMI.

No matter what credential I try and setup I keep getting service context does not have the necessary privileges to impersonate.

I have tried domain\username with the domain being the domain the exchange server is in.  I have tried setting up a local accout on the exchange box and using usernam and .\username.  No luck on either.

Any ideas?

• Did you try using the wbemtest utility and/or WMI Explorer locally on the exchange server and then remotely from the Solarwinds server?

If the credentials do not work locally then there is no chance it could work remotely.

Here is a WMI troubleshooting guide that might help you as well. It shows the steps to use the wbemtest utility.

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/apm/docs/APMWMITroubleshooting.pdf

Let us know how it goes.

Yann

• Thanks for the links to the tools.  I didnt know that existed.

I am able to connect using wbemtest.exe from both the Exchange server AND the IPMonitor server.  However IPMonitor still gets the error.

• Not sure if this will work for you, but the solution to a similar problem in our network was to create a local account on the ipMonitor server *and* a local account on the remote server, both with the same name and password.  For instance:

ipMonitor Server Account:  IPMON\ipMonExchange
    Exchange Server Account:  EXCHANGE\ipMonExchange

Assign the proper permissions to the EXCHANGE\ipMonExchange account and it should work.  Our ipMonitor server is in one domain and most all the servers we monitor services on are in another domain and this seems to work for us.  It's a kludge-y workaround, but it works.