This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Microsoft Windows Monitor. Monitor Status: Lost Monitor Test: Failed: Error Code: Unable to connect to the remote device

Hi,

I just installed and setup the trial version of ipmonitor.
The majority of my servers are showing as being down. When I drill into each server they are all failing on the same monitor...

Monitor Name: Microsoft Windows
Monitor Status: Lost

Monitor Type: Windows
Availability: 0.00%
Coverage: 3 hours, 56 mins, 1 secs
Critical Failures: 48
Alerts Sent: 3
In Progress: No
Last Run: 2010/01/15,15:27:09
Next Run: 3 mins, 59 secs

Results Set
Monitor Test:Failed
Error Code:

Unable to connect to the remote device 

Can anyone help explain this monitor, why I am experiencing this problem and how to fix it? The credentials I provided are for a domain account that is a memeber of the administrators group on each server.

Thanks... BA

• What options are selected under the usage restrictions for the credential you have configured?

If you do not have "May be used with NTLM Authentication Schemes (Windows NT Lan Manager)" checked then give that a try.  Uncheck "May be used with Windows Impersonation for use with RPC" when you make this change as that restriction takes precedence over the NTLM option.

Also make sure there is no firewall in the middle blocking WMI connections.

Hope this helps!

Matt

• That fixed the Microsoft Windows Monitor... however now I get loads of different failures saying: -

Error Code:The Credential is not available for RPC impersonation
    Monitor Test: Failed
    Error Code: The Credential is not available for RPC impersonation

I know this because I just turned it off as recommended above?

• Does anyone have any ideas about this, the Drivespace monitors are failing on a few of my servers with "The Credential is not available for RPC impersonation" message. However some other servers are fine. Have checked for differences but cannot find any relationship, different OS's etc. Could a windows service not running be the cause?