Today I'm upgrading v8.5 to 9.01. Before upgrading processes executed, I was captured the service setting through ipMonitor 8.5 Configuration Program as can see in the attachment (ServiceConf.jpg).
After upgrading installation was finished, then ipMonitor 9 Configuration Program appeared, I need to complete Service Account Context information on that section. I filled all the information same as the configuration on ipMonitor 8.5 Configuration Program before. But there's an error message informed about logon failure as can see in the attachment (LogonFailure.jpg).
And another impact, all the external monitors I have configured on ipMonitor 8.5 can not work properly. I think it was related with credential. Could anyone please help me to solve this issue ? And why it can be happened ?
I would recommend opening a new support ticket in the morning. In the meantime I would suggest trying a few of the following options:
1) Try putting in v8.5's config program in the installation directory and run it. To be on the safe side, only modify the window's service account.
2) Try replacing "." with the name of your machine (or the name of the domain, whatever you're going for).
3) Select local system with the config program. Next go to the services shortcut in the control panel and select the account you're after within the ipMonitor's Monitoring Service settings. I believe that the administrator's group will still retain permissions on the encryption container and files within the installation folder (I don't often recommend this option, as the configuration program will ensure that all the permissions are set for the specified user anywhere it might be needed).
For your post, I have assumed that you didn't move the install from one computer to another. If you did, that's okay ... but we'll save lots of troubleshooting time to know that in advance.
Thank you for your quick response. I also opened a ticket (#37701). I will try what you were suggested and also will wait the response from technical support about suggested action I need to do.
Another thing I want to clarify about Upgrading Monitors and Groups. After all upgrading installations were finished and I can log in to the dashboard, I just can see as attached (UpgradingMonitors&Groups.jpg)
this process take very long time. It has been running for about an hour. And it still not finished. What is the risk if I Cancel this process ?
The process should take under 5 minutes at the very most. For most people within 2 minutes. However, it might use a lot of DNS in that time and if DNS is timing out... that would be the slowdown. It's a one time thing... so once it's done, you won't see these upgrade pages again.
If the browser gave up on the page, because it took too long to load, the image would keep spinning like that forever. If you hit Cancel, the risk is that if you come through again while the process is working in the background you might end up with duplicate devices and monitors inappropriately shared between devices. Although that can be fixed, it might end up being lots of UI clicks.
I'm very sorry. It was took very long time. I know that total of the monitors configured on my ipMonitor about 3700 monitors. I can't wait any longer because of a lot of complaints from the users. It has been running almost half an hour. So I decided to cancel the process, remove v9 installation and reinstall the v8.5. It works. Currently the dashboard of v8.5 can be accessed normally. But one thing that I still need to solve are credential and service setting problems like what I informed in previous email.
Currently all of external process monitors should be deactivate. Because if they still active, they will send a lot of sms alerts to the users. Is there any kind of suggestions from you to keep in track to solve this credential and service setting problems ? Because there's still no reply from technical support. Once again, currently the version which running on the environment is v8.5.
Thank you in advance.
Sure thing. Here's a v8.5 document that talks about just this thing.
Seeing as you're upgrading a production server and users are actively attempting to use it while you handle the upgrade process, I recommend for you the following:
Ask the support technician you get for assistance with running a short term evaluation of v9 for an appropriate number or days. Next, copy your current v8.5 config to another box. Then, Implement a "freeze" in configuration changes on the production box. Complete your upgrade process (to v9) on the staging server and get it configured the way you want it. When you're ready to push live, use the "backup now" feature on the staging server. Finally, install v9 on the production box (before logging in, use the restore utility).
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process.