cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 15

IpMonitor: What We're Working On

Hi everyone – the IpMonitor team is hard at work developing a number of key enhancements:

1. Bandwidth monitors will separate inbound and outbound traffic. This enhancement will provide a more detailed view of bandwidth usage, allowing the ability to test incoming and outgoing data rates.

2. Use Windows credentials for IpMonitor login.  

3. Define customized device types. This will help organize data in reports. 

4. Create a monitor and settings and deploy to a list of servers. This “templatized” deployment will save time and decrease the possibility of errors when deploying the same monitors to multiple devices.

5. Configure reports with non-contiguous times.  Customize timeframes to leave out weekends, evening hours, etc.

6. Enhanced Exchange support - Support for Exchange 2010. 

7. A shiny new printer monitor

8. The ability to sort columns in reporting view

PLEASE NOTE:  We are working on these items based on this priority order, but this is NOT a commitment that all of these enhancements will make the next release. If you have comments or questions on any of these items (e.g. how would it work?) or would like to be included in a preview demo, please let us know!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
87 Replies

To wrap up the last several years of history:

Solarwinds buys ipmonitor.  To their credit, a lot of initial work is done.  

Solarwinds increases maintenance costs from 200 a year to 600 a year.  When asked why, they claimed their changes made it a good value.  

A few changes made over the next couple of years, mostly bug fixes.  

ipmonitor developer moved to other projects.

ipmonitor user limit changed to unlimited.

Development slows to a crawl/standstill.  SOAP interface is no longer supported.  Maybe it competes with orion?

People start to drift away from ipmonitor to other products that are more actively supported.

Solarwinds releases APM and offers a big discount to get people to upgrade from ipmonitor.  I tried APM, and it seemed like I couldn't do what I can with ipmonitor.  I would guess that most did not upgrade.

Emails go out that ipmonitor limit will be reimposed if we stop paying maintenance.

Over this period of time, a series of 3 or 4 "PMs" are shuffled through the ipmonitor project.  I put the PM in quotes because while they were all very nice, very reasonable people, they are allocated no little or no development time to DO anything.  So they are really just glorified notetakers who do their best to be active on the forums and answer questions.  They probably have the torturous job of prioritizing the huge "list" of requests for improvement, and figuring out what can be done with their 1 hour a week of allocated dev time.

The only contact I really get from solarwinds at this point is when the maintenance comes up for renewal.  Those people are pretty aggressive, but the last couple of years they haven't had much to stand on/brag about.

I will put in a plug here for the support guy.  Keeping him around is one of the few smart things solarwinds has done with this product.

0 Kudos

We have some things on the horizon for ipMonitor, which should dramatically increase the value for SMB's. Feel free to contact me as I would love for your feedback as we move forward.

0 Kudos

"some things on the horizon" .... sure .... thats what you tell us since 2008. I am not willing to trust Solwarwinds anymore.

0 Kudos

This thread got active all of a sudden..

My two cents: if ipMonitor is meant for smaller shops, and APM is for a larger, enterprise environment, then development needs to be active on both. if ipMonitor is not being actively developed, and IMPROVEMENTS are so irregular, then do customers a favor, and don't restrict the number of monitors, and lower the maintenance price. Because if development is stagnating, then maintenance devolves into support/help desk. 

Also, near-daily emails about your other super expensive products is annoying, and to be frank, I barely even read the titles anymore. I want to know about new offerings, but limit it to one a week, and preferably a nice simple one that takes care of notifying me of two or three offerings all at once.

/venting

0 Kudos

@jnelson - I had mentioned this earlier to schitti, but the 500 limit would only be placed on new ipMonitor customers or those who let the maintenance lapse. 

Jason

0 Kudos

Came across this blog entry from another software company.  SolarWinds, take note -- this is how to create a roadmap with substantial features that customers are crying out for, and then delivering it in record time.

0 Kudos

Everyone,

We have several Solarwinds employees watching the thread, so know your comments have been heard.  Honestly, it is difficult for us not to be able to respond with information/knowledge we have of early discussions behind the scenes happening with ipMonitor. That being said our hands are tied or I should say our lips are sealed. With that in mind, I’ll try to make a few statements regarding our philosophy in hopes that it illustrates our thinking, it may not change your opinion.

Our approach for the monitoring product portfolio is to provide functionality that meets the needs for each segment. The advantage to our customers, using this approach, is that we can keep the cost lower for ipMonitor. Internally this means we need to keep a balance between development costs and pricing. What this means is if we increase our development resources (e.g. dev, QA, etc…) for ipMonitor then we will need to increase the price (including maintenance).  But doing so would mean raising the price on everyone, including smaller SMB’s, to deliver the features/functions that larger or more advanced customers want. This could put ipMonitor out of reach for smaller shops, which we’re not willing to do. I am sure one of you has worked for a one of these smaller shops where budgets are tight, but ipMonitor fit the need. If you been fortunate to work in shops with unlimited budgets, you are lucky, but I am sure you can sympathize with these admins at the smaller IT shops. 

We fully understand, by taking this approach and offering two different products there are hitches (as some of you have pointed out above). Just know we are committed to this approach because we feel it benefits most of our customers.

On a personal note, I wished Apple would release a software update for my sons iPod Touch, so it would be a fully functioning iPhone (hardware and software wise its practically 80% there anyway). I know this isn’t possible, though it is frustrating because the functionality so close. I understand Apple is a business and in order to meet the needs of all customers/segments they had to draw line.

We are business and we are doing our best to meet the needs for all our customers, sometimes this is difficult to do. Again, I am sure you can understand. 

Thanks, Jason

0 Kudos

Jason

I dont think anyone here is taking issue with the fact ipmon is not apm and there will be differences but rather that after so much time between releases you only got 50% of not exactly an overly ambitious list in to this new release.

Instead of telling customers why we are wrong to expect more, why not show us what the future holds for a product we are investing time and money in. A clear roadmap would go a long way for managing customer expectations.

0 Kudos

I agree with the issue that ipMonitor has seen very little improvements since getting purchased by SolarWinds. I loved the product and we were always informed of enhancements and things that were getting worked on. I would help with beta testing and got instant feedback with bugs. I was extremely concerned and vocal when SolarWinds was purchased and I was assured that SolarWinds bought the product because it was a great tool and that it was going to be built upon. I have not seen that at all.

I have tried APM and really did not like it at all. ipMonitor has always been very easy to create and instantly get results for monitors and devices. APM did not meet 1/2 the needs that ipMonitor does in my opinion and I quit using the trial 1/2 way though and went back to ipMonitor. I wish that SolarWinds would put some real effort into building it up to be a replacement for APM instead of the other way around. I do not plan to use APM and will eventually use another product once ipMonitor is finally killed off. I love using it and will continue to do so until that time. I use it to monitor about 400 servers and just ignore the notification that I have exceeded 5000 monitors.

ipMonitor is a great tool that is very easy to use and report off. Please enhance it for the customers that rely on it to monitor their environments. I have updated ipMonitor once SolarWinds bought it and that is because only one revision has been released. If you are not going to enhance it and put more effort into it, just kill it so I can move on and not curse SolarWinds for taking away my monitor I use and have up on my computer screen all day.

0 Kudos

Solarwinds is a publicly traded company now, so I can see why things have changed.  Development is outsourced overseas to eastern europe and india.  Their 10k statements claim that the CEO is the one making all the product decisions.  They spent ~$15M on R&D last year - I wonder how much of that was on ipmonitor.  They don't go into that kind of detail in their SEC filings, unfortunately.  He won't be coming by here to "own" his decisions any time soon, he only answers to the board of directors.    

A big chunk of their business is selling orion to the govt, and they had $150M in revenue last year.  ipmonitor is a spit in the bucket "tool" to them so I don't see them making any big changes any time soon when its not a big source of revenue.  

Having the govt as a customer is going to hurt them in the next few years as budgets get cut.  I steered them to a open source product myself for at least one project because solarwinds is so slow to respond to feedback.   

In short, I don't see much of a future in this product.  I'll just continue to use this until I'm sufficiently motivated to jump ship to something else like prtg.  If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know. 

0 Kudos

Solarwinds is a publicly traded company now, so I can see why things have changed.  Development is outsourced overseas to eastern europe and india.  Their 10k statements claim that the CEO is the one making all the product decisions.  They spent ~$15M on R&D last year - I wonder how much of that was on ipmonitor.  They don't go into that kind of detail in their SEC filings, unfortunately.  He won't be coming by here to "own" his decisions any time soon, he only answers to the board of directors.    

A big chunk of their business is selling orion to the govt, and they had $150M in revenue last year.  ipmonitor is a spit in the bucket "tool" to them so I don't see them making any big changes any time soon when its not a big source of revenue.  

Having the govt as a customer is going to hurt them in the next few years as budgets get cut.  I steered them to a open source product myself for at least one project because solarwinds is so slow to respond to feedback.   

In short, I don't see much of a future in this product.  I'll just continue to use this until I'm sufficiently motivated to jump ship to something else like prtg.  If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know. 

Moving to PRTG here. After reading up on prtg and running a test-installation I could not find a reason for NOT switching to PRTG. More and better monitors, active development, a roadmap they publish and stick to which actually lifts the product, list goes on.

0 Kudos

@schitti @laffen @term, if you are interested in getting in on a beta of ipMonitor let me know. I think you will all be happy with the new features.

0 Kudos

Sure, send me a link, and I'll give it a shot.

0 Kudos

The beta isn't ready just yet, but will contact you when it is ready.

0 Kudos

@jgervin; I am also interested in participating in the beta as well. Is that possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos

@mderosia will put you on the list of requests.

0 Kudos

could you update the "what we're working on" thread with the new features being planned?

0 Kudos

@jgervin: yes I am interested in beta tests! please put me on the list. thx!

0 Kudos

btw. what's the matter with ipm NFR?! this vanished sometime last year from partner portal ... and why there isn't a free NFR license for partner anyway?

0 Kudos

Looking into this. Will contact you when I get the answer.

0 Kudos

hello!

some news about the NFR? I haven't heard from you since then ...

0 Kudos