cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sfletche
Level 9

Re: IpMonitor: What We're Working On

Hi Chrstine,

I have not given the RC a try unfortunately the main feature we were looking for is #4.

It's really to bad this did not make it in as honestly the time it takes to customize the servers / monitors has been a big deterrent in how much use this product actually gets in our environment.

0 Kudos
Schitti
Level 8

Hi christine,

will #4 be available in GA or next release???

and whats about #2?

thx, Clemens

0 Kudos
jgervin
Level 9

Schitti, we moved to form based login from digest, removed the ability to add windows accounts.  We didn't get #4 into the release.  A work around for #4 is exporting config as xml then editing with search/replace and importing it.

Jason

0 Kudos
Schitti
Level 8

and can you tell my why? i believe nearly all of you customers has active directory and would like to use AD authentication ...?

I wonder why there are no templates since a long time - with the possibility of using a thousands monitors this would save us a lot of time ...?!

the mentioned workaround is nice but the lack of new (useful and wished) features isn't very funny ...

Clemens

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Schitti
Level 8

next question: ipMonitor was since (i believe) version 9.06 unlimited? And now there will again a limitation of 500 monitors?!? what's this? and what does that mean for any maintenance renewal from now on?

0 Kudos
Term
Level 9

It's a move to encourage people to stay on maintenance, and protect the market of their APM from being encroached on by the less costly ipmonitor.

0 Kudos
Schitti
Level 8

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Term
Level 9

To wrap up the last several years of history:

Solarwinds buys ipmonitor.  To their credit, a lot of initial work is done.  

Solarwinds increases maintenance costs from 200 a year to 600 a year.  When asked why, they claimed their changes made it a good value.  

A few changes made over the next couple of years, mostly bug fixes.  

ipmonitor developer moved to other projects.

ipmonitor user limit changed to unlimited.

Development slows to a crawl/standstill.  SOAP interface is no longer supported.  Maybe it competes with orion?

People start to drift away from ipmonitor to other products that are more actively supported.

Solarwinds releases APM and offers a big discount to get people to upgrade from ipmonitor.  I tried APM, and it seemed like I couldn't do what I can with ipmonitor.  I would guess that most did not upgrade.

Emails go out that ipmonitor limit will be reimposed if we stop paying maintenance.

Over this period of time, a series of 3 or 4 "PMs" are shuffled through the ipmonitor project.  I put the PM in quotes because while they were all very nice, very reasonable people, they are allocated no little or no development time to DO anything.  So they are really just glorified notetakers who do their best to be active on the forums and answer questions.  They probably have the torturous job of prioritizing the huge "list" of requests for improvement, and figuring out what can be done with their 1 hour a week of allocated dev time.

The only contact I really get from solarwinds at this point is when the maintenance comes up for renewal.  Those people are pretty aggressive, but the last couple of years they haven't had much to stand on/brag about.

I will put in a plug here for the support guy.  Keeping him around is one of the few smart things solarwinds has done with this product.

0 Kudos
Schitti
Level 8

i have to fully agree with you!

and with the features "AD authentication" and "templates" not being in RC and release, we will take a look at the new PRTG Version (which has also smartphone support Smiley Wink) ...

0 Kudos
jgervin
Level 9

@schitti - We have two products, ipMonitor and APM, which it sounds like your needs may fall into the APM category. APM is meant for enterprise customers, those that need robust features and a tool that can grow limitlessly with the organization. The 500 limit would only be placed on new ipMonitor customers or those who let the maintenance lapse (aka no longer grandfathered in).

Jason

0 Kudos