cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 15

IpMonitor: What We're Working On

Hi everyone – the IpMonitor team is hard at work developing a number of key enhancements:

1. Bandwidth monitors will separate inbound and outbound traffic. This enhancement will provide a more detailed view of bandwidth usage, allowing the ability to test incoming and outgoing data rates.

2. Use Windows credentials for IpMonitor login.  

3. Define customized device types. This will help organize data in reports. 

4. Create a monitor and settings and deploy to a list of servers. This “templatized” deployment will save time and decrease the possibility of errors when deploying the same monitors to multiple devices.

5. Configure reports with non-contiguous times.  Customize timeframes to leave out weekends, evening hours, etc.

6. Enhanced Exchange support - Support for Exchange 2010. 

7. A shiny new printer monitor

8. The ability to sort columns in reporting view

PLEASE NOTE:  We are working on these items based on this priority order, but this is NOT a commitment that all of these enhancements will make the next release. If you have comments or questions on any of these items (e.g. how would it work?) or would like to be included in a preview demo, please let us know!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
87 Replies

You have to go through the program, which is handled on a person by person basis, over the phone.  Will have someone contact you.

0 Kudos

thx!

0 Kudos

IPmonitor user since 2002 here and I have to agree. Solarwinds might have had plans to make ipmonitor a good SMB tool but it has ended up as a reason to sell more APM and Orion in general, a totally different beast. Another tragedy is the support portal which still exists at http://support.ipmonitor.com/guest.aspx, replaced with what? a forum, some resources at the solarwinds supportsite and what else? shame on solarwinds.

ipmonitor still does what we need, but as other alternatives for SMB gets more features and proper support I have started looking at replacing ipmonitor.

this pretty much sums it up:

searching for "ipmonitor" on www.solarwinds.com gives:
Recommended Product Solution:
Orion Network Performance Monitor

0 Kudos

this pretty much sums it up:

searching for "ipmonitor" on www.solarwinds.com gives:
Recommended Product Solution:
Orion Network Performance Monitor

Laffen, if the last two days of activity make the rule, then I think you may have just won this thread. Hats off to you.

0 Kudos

I understand that your hands are tied, and that you can't tell us much.  At this point, actions speak louder than words.  Give us something for our money other than support and people will stop complaining.  That means you need to dust off "the list" and do several of those items every year.

As for your argument, I have trouble understanding it.  It lost all its water when you tripled the price of maintenance.  You tripled my costs, and gave me 10-20% the development effort that ipmonitor received before solarwinds purchased it.  It has not added much to solarwinds overhead.  There's one part time PM, and one support guy.  Those costs are easily absorbed by the sales and marketing machine that is solarwinds!  When my maintenance was jacked way up, I doubt anyone had my small business in mind.  

Somehow, ipmonitor was worked on 100% of the time when it was a stand alone company.  

If solarwinds wants to pour all their effort into orion/apm, then its your prerogative.  But don't claim that developing this product further would cost too much.  If you want to talk about opportunity costs, then that's something else.  Let's see if this hits the nail on the head:  "Solarwinds chooses to forgo work on ipmonitor in favor of orion/apm, because that is the more lucrative product for us.  But hey, we will continue to pocket your $600 a year so you can open a support ticket if you need to!  And oh by the way, if you stop paying maintenance, we will drop your monitor limit down to 500 if you ever want a upgrade!"

If you are serious about that position, and want to make it the official solarwinds position on ipmonitor, then how about lowering my maintenance back down to $200 or whatever it was before.  Paying $600 a year to allow me to open up a support ticket is too much.  You should also make it clear up front to new buyers that this is going to be the case from now on.  Somehow I doubt anyone is doing that.  Instead, I think our maintenance fees are instead being directed towards developing orion/apm, which doesn't do me much good.  I can't prove that, but with maybe a few hundred customers around, we are surely paying the support guys salary+fringe and much much more.

As far as the ipad example:  are you paying $600 a year on a support contract for it?  I doubt it.  Its a mass market consumer device that you paid $500 for.  Not a good analogy, I think.  If you paid $600 a year for support, and apple did little or nothing as far as software updates for years, you would probably be upset.

0 Kudos

I agree with the above

I was sold a basic product and thats what I need. Dont need all the bells and whistles. Bought this over WUG standard which was priced around the same. This had more features - but can tell you selling this "per monitor" would have changed my mind forsure.

0 Kudos

i have to fully agree with you!

and with the features "AD authentication" and "templates" not being in RC and release, we will take a look at the new PRTG Version (which has also smartphone support ;)) ...

0 Kudos

It's a move to encourage people to stay on maintenance, and protect the market of their APM from being encroached on by the less costly ipmonitor.

0 Kudos

@schitti - We have two products, ipMonitor and APM, which it sounds like your needs may fall into the APM category. APM is meant for enterprise customers, those that need robust features and a tool that can grow limitlessly with the organization. The 500 limit would only be placed on new ipMonitor customers or those who let the maintenance lapse (aka no longer grandfathered in).

Jason

0 Kudos

Jason,

Were all aware of that at this point.  We want some features in this product, and for whatever reason APM does not work for us.  Otherwise we would be there already.  

We know that APM is "more better".  If I had a nickel for every time a solarwinds person said that in response to a enhancement request, I would be rich.

0 Kudos

@term

100% ack to your posts. We wrote the exakt same to solarwinds in 2009, 2010 and 2011. An we where stupid enough to renew this year because of the new beta. But solarwinds kicked us again. Thanks to the linux community there are now a couple of open source enterprise monitoring tools and we can finaly say good by to ipmonitor. Congratulations Solarwinds you managed it to loose a customer using ipmonitor since 5/2000.

Michael

0 Kudos

😉

0 Kudos

There is a new release candidate for 10.5 in all current customer's portals. If you have time to try it out - please let us know what you think? You can post in the RC forum or just message me directly. 

http://thwack.com/forums/59/release-candidates/233/ipmonitor-release-candidate/

--Christine 

0 Kudos

Hi All - the RC of ipM 10.5 is ready for any customers on active maintenance interested in participating. If you are, please send me an email at christine.bentsen@solarwinds.com and we will get you set up. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Level 7

Hi there,

I'm currently evaluating ipMonitor for my company (great product, by the way!), do you have any idea when the next version is coming out, and if features #4 ("templatized" deployment) and #7 (printer monitor) will be included?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Ffreire - thakns for your input in IpM - we are currently working on those features - but we can't speak to release dates at SolarWinds. Right now, we are planning on both those features being included, but of course, they could always get pushed back if things change throughout the development cycle. I know we can be frustratingly vague around here - but this is why

--Christine 

0 Kudos

Hi all - my link was wrong. Here it is again - 

0 Kudos

Hi Christine,

We're on the fence now, we currently use Tembria and are evaluating ipMonitor for a switch. We are a small department in a University so we can't afford the big guns (e.g. APM, ManageEngine). ipMonitor seems promising and we love the interface, dashboards and community except it's missing some crucial features for us:

1. Custom WMI Performance Counter Monitoring (not hard coded), Tembria does this very well!
2. Service Availability Rollup (Group Availability)
3. Service Availability Report (Group Report)
4. Ability to define statuses (up, down, warning, info) for all sensors. Right now "warning" seems to just apply to time and not threshold. "Informational" statuses are only available to certain sensors. Being able to be warned when certain thresholds are breached will allow us to address before it crosses the fail threshold and affects service availability. Informational will allow us to be notified of non-critical items that shouldn't count against service availability at all (e.g. changes to AD security group)
5. AD authentication (I read this is already on the roadmap)

I guess we are interested in more than just up/down monitoring, we'd like to do preventative maintenance (warnings), change detection (informational) and performance trending (capacity planning) as well.

I know these are not on your current release schedule but could they be in the future or am I just dreaming? 🙂

Thanks for your consideration!

0 Kudos

Hi Mobiusyuger: thanks for the feature requests. Most, if not all of these, are available in APM. Have you had a chance to check out the new pricing for the standalone product?

As for IpM - you are right that AD authentication is on the road map for IpM. You can see the rest of what we are working on for IpM here: 

--Christine

0 Kudos

mobiusyuger--

I'll mark for PM to review.

Thx,

M

0 Kudos
Level 9

really looking forward to #4

Is there any news of an approx. release date for any of the enhancements?

0 Kudos